The Courier

Articles, fan-fic, videos and other assorted creativity by our members.

The Courier

Postby Zzinc on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:28 am

Heres a little story I wrote. Its all based on a quest I did in WoW, not sure how it works if youre not familliar with the game but oh well. Hope you enjoy it, and also; I'm a comment junkie, so feel free to comment what you like and don't like.

--------------------------------------------

The creaking of the mechanostrider was hypnotising. Riding through the overgrown forests of Feralas she started building up for the coming search – which was probably going to turn into a battle. As it always did, in one way or another.

The mission today was however a little different than normal. Most of the time she was asked to deliver something, claim some debts or collect something gross. Some people thought it was absolutely hilarious when she explained that she was a warrior, not an errand girl. She clenched her teeth at the mere thought. –“Height has nothing to do with bravery!” she wanted to scream to them when that happened, but that would only make matters worse.

But now, finally, she had a real job to do. Yesterday, when she arrived to Feathermoon Stronghold, people had been stirring, worried about a courier that was missing since several days. The villagers knew only that he left the Stronghold in his boat, no clues as to what happened to him. It was like searching for a needle in a haystack. She volunteered immediately; this was exactly the kind of job she wanted.

After long hours of methodically searching the shores, she eventually located his abandoned boat. Well guarded by sea elementals and wrecked nearly beyond recognition. Luckily, stuck in a corner of the wreck, there was a torn piece from the courier’s notes, mentioning gnoll villages in southern Feralas. That’s where she was now headed at full speed.

The strider creaked on relentlessly. “It’s all well for quick transport on safe roads, this mechanostrider” she thought, “but with the noise this metal makes the gnolls will hear me from miles away”. She ducked the big roots that stretched across the path, and turned slightly right. Vegetation was thick and she could hardly get through it riding. She quickly dismounted, and continued on foot instead. And so, a few hundred meters into the forest, she saw them. Those filthy gnolls. Closing up on them she felt the rage start building up, and as she charged the first one her instincts took over. One by one she slayed them, searching their small camps for signs of the lost courier. There were so many people in this world who needed help, and she would be damned if she couldn’t save this one. As she fought through, the gnolls fled from her in pure fear, and to herself she half-mumbled through clenched teeth –“Anyone that tiny can’t be much of a warrior”.

The smell of the gnolls was nauseating. She had to admit that her lack of height was no advantage in close combat. And gnolls were the worst, closely followed by troggs. Reaching the third camp she spotted two carefully sewn leather bags hung on the trunk of a tree. –“They don’t look like they belong here”, she thought, and cleared the road to them. Rummaging through the bags she discovered that Raschal, the courier, had left a document that led the search further on. South it said, to the Writhing Deep. She quickly gathered the bags, called her strider and took off further south.

The surroundings shifted rapidly. The healthy green forests turned into a murky and infested crater, with huge bugs flying and crawling everywhere. The Writhing Deep looked like the kind of place that would end one’s days if you weren’t very careful. But at least bugs meant that the courier could still be alive in there, with their flare for tenderising you before feasting.

She glanced into one of the nests and decided to dive in. It was the likely place for them to keep him. Repulsive at it was, she had to save him. To prove what – and to whom – she did not really know. But this was no time to start thinking.

The nest was full of the little buggers. Mutated wasps, bigger than her, and crawling instects. The tunnel went down, deeper into the ground, and she followed it while fending the bugs off. After a few turns she caught a glimpse of what looked like a huge cocoon in a distant chamber, and that burst her strength up. Pretty soon, she had reached the chamber.

He was a pitiful sight, nested into the cocoons deep layers. As quickly as she could she got him out of his prison, hoping that he would still be alive. At first he just lay there, but after a few seconds he coughed, and tried to regain his breath. “I’m alive!” he gasped, and tried to get up on his feet. Instantly he fell over again. –“Stay there, and have this to eat” she said and handed him a piece of bread. –“I’ll keep an eye out here”.

A few minutes later he was better recovered, and able to get his muscles to respond again. They got up and set out toward the exit together. Soon fresh air hit their faces, and the last steps away from the Writhing deep felt like flying. She simply couldn’t wait to return to the Stronghold now - in triumph! This truly was a great way to make a living.
Zzinc
TSS Member

Postby Proto on Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:52 am

Moved this into the freeform fiction section

A good wee story Zzinc :-) I want to hear more of her adventures. You have quite an evocative writing style with good description of smells as well as the visuals. Keep up the good work!
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Zzinc on Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:41 pm

Aha, wasn't sure which one it went into. Thought this one was for RP threads only.

Glad to hear you like it, many thanks for the kind words! :D
Zzinc
TSS Member

Postby Akotha on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:22 pm

good story, liked it :)
keep em coming :D
Akotha
Site administrator and Tech support
--------------------------------------
BF2142: Ackotha
BF2: Ackotha
SWG: Ackotha/Ackothica/Oxep/Ilily :: Taking a long vacation on Naboo
DnL: Akotha/Mhago :: R.I.P
EQ2 (Darathar PvP): Akotha/Akothica :: R.I.P
SoG: Akotha :: R.I.P
EQ2 (Splitpaw): Akotha/Mago :: R.I.P
SWG: Akotha :: R.I.P
EVE: Xilith :: R.I.P
Neocron: Eagle :: R.I.P
Akotha
Admin

Postby Sentenza on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:14 pm

woohoo ... finally another quality read suggestable for the writer of this january ... ;-) ...
Sentenza . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rate TSS at WAR!

Vanguard (Halgar): Cynamoon, Mho, Shabby, Rhoselyn, Yaya, Nhew, Clou,
Sentenza

Postby Zzinc on Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks all for reading! :D

Sentenza wrote:woohoo ... finally another quality read suggestable for the writer of this january ... ;-) ...

..oh my.. *blushes and bounces happily*
Zzinc
TSS Member

Postby Zzinc on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Rashy wrote:Great little short, I used to like writing little bits about Rashy and my character bacgrounds, I actually did some I was very happy with.

Oh nice! Just as a wee hint; I like reading stuff! :D
Zzinc
TSS Member

Return to Members contributions