Strange dreams

Articles, fan-fic, videos and other assorted creativity by our members.

Strange dreams

Postby Nathreee on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:36 pm

Ever had a dream that made you think you play too many games? I did.

I woke up in my old room in the house where I used to live with my parents and my brother. The room was empty except for the bed I was lying in and the curtains. The curtains were moving with a ghostly howl, which had my brother's face. I sighed and got up out of my bed.

"You give back my stuff this instant!" I yelled at the ghost. He retreated to a corner of the room and shuddered. "Boooo!" I yelled at him. "Now get my stuff back!" The ghost disappeared out the window and started bringing my things back inside. I nodded, pleased with myself, and turned to leave the room, but my father was standing in the doorway. He seemed scared.

I started to explain to him that we had nothing to fear from ghosts, and that it's pretty easy to scare them with a mighty "Boo!". There was no change in my father's behaviour. I realised that he might be worried that the ghost was my brother, and I fell silent.

Then my father's arm fell off. It was crawling with maggots and so was his stub of a shoulder. My dad was a rotting zombie. I frowned and turned around to fly out the window. "Oh no, not again..." I mumbled as I soared out over the town. As I feared, the whole city was turned into zombies and other undead. Someone had unleashed the Unholy Plague again.

I quickly made my way to the Hackstacy Headquarters, the home of one of the guilds of heroes in the city. I briefly wondered how it was that the Unholy Plague instantly turned most of the city's buildings into ruins. That wasn't very realistic. Oh well...

Hackstacy Headquarters didn't look too well; it had been turned to ruins as well. I sat down on the broken off guard tower and peered inside through the hole in the roof. It seemed abandoned. A few zombies were tugging at the rotting gate, but otherwise it looked empty. Since Bram was still on holiday, I knew I wouldn't find any allies here. Smokey was probably moving all the loot to safety and Angrad was dead. I could really use Paco's help right now, but he was nowhere to be seen either. I got ready to fly off to see if I could find any help at the Second Sun guild, when I heard a scream from inside the building.

I descended through the hole in the roof and went looking for a living person. I found Bart backing into a corner of the coach house, chased by quite a number of zombies. A priest! What luck! "Bart!" I waved at him while I hovered close to the ceiling. "Don't let them touch you! It's the Unholy Plague!"

He was conjuring up sunlight out of his sleeves, but there were so many zombies here, that they were surrounding him. I swooped in to pick him up and fly away with him, but as I lifted him off the ground I felt a touch on one of my wings. I cursed as I instantly felt them start to decay and my hero's strength was waning too. Worst of all, I was passing the plague on to Bart, who was still lying in my arms.

I landed in the next room and pulled Bart through the secret door into the closet where Smokey stashed all the potions. "What's happening?" Bart uttered as I locked the secret door behind us. I shook my head at our slowly rotting flesh and started to search the shelves for useful potions. "Just don't try to heal yourself." I muttered angrily; most of the good potions were gone. "It'll hurt, since we're undead now, and it'll drain you. Save your strength."

At the back of the top shelf, I found a few potions of Conserve the Dead. It was the best I could find. I popped the cork and downed the dark green fluid. It smelled like formaldehyde but zombies don't get nauseous, so I swallowed it without a problem. I passed one to Bart as well. "Sorry, it seems Smokey has taken all the good loot. But this will at least keep us sane and in one piece for 12 hours."

He emptied the bottle in his throat and gave me a worried look. "What do you plan to do next?" I peered though the peephole into the main hall, only to see more zombies. "I guess we have to get out of here." I said to him. "I'm sure my friends at Second Sun have some Plague Cures left." Bart looked through the peephole into the back yard, also filled with zombies. "So which way?"

"Follow me." I opened the door leading to the stables and showed him the sewer entrance in the back. "Again the sewer entrance inside the house comes in handy." I motioned him to go first. "Go on. Zombies can't see under water, so just stay under." He jumped in, but cast me a worried look as I followed him. "But how do we breathe then?" "We don't; we're dead." "Oh, right."

I was right of course; the zombies couldn't see a thing under water, and neither could we. The trek through the sewers was pretty hard, because our bodies were prone to floating. Bart briefly wondered why the sewers weren't as smelly as he had expected. "Oh, they are." I replied. "We just smell worse, that's all."

As always, I knew exactly where I was going, even though the sewers were in ruins too; I still knew my way around from the time I had farmed giant rats here. When we reached a spot where the street had collapsed, I lifted Bart up and heaved us both up into the sunlight. I couldn't fly far because my wings were decaying, but at least I got us to the alley where the Second Sun's back entrance was.

As I wrenched the door open, I yelled: "Guys! We're not zombies! Don't..." Four bullets hit me in the chest. "...shoot. Too late." I examined the bullets and then looked into the room. Sue smiled shyly at me. "Oh, it's you." Orakio came into the room. "Sue! You got normal bullets! Those won't work..." He looked at me. "Nathreee! You don't look so good. Come in. Let me get you some Plague Cure."

When Bart and me had recovered from the plague, we held a meeting. "I know we can turn off the plague by activating the Sun Mirror in City Hall." I explained. "Who is coming with me?" Orakio frowned. "Well, some of us will have to stay here to defend the guild. It's one of the last buildings left standing in the city." I nodded. "I understand that. I just would like some backup."

Bart looked at me apologetically. "I don't have any spells left. I need to rest." Rashy shifted in his seat in a dark corner of the room. "I'm no good. I have a hangover..." Some other guildies mumbled things like: "I have to log to get to work soon." and "How long does it take for the city to reset anyway? Only 12 hours right?"

I sighed. "Allright. I'll do it by myself." I turned to Sentenza. "Can you at least cast Innervate and Refresh on me?" "Sure." She cast the two spells I requested and I wished the guild good luck as I flew out the window again. My wings hadn't completely healed yet; I noticed I couldn't fly up as high as I wanted to, so I had no way of seeing how far the plague had spread.

I quickly made my way around the tall buildings of the city centre to City Hall, where I landed and stealthily creeped inside over one of the balconies. A group of ghasts was guarding the entrance to the vault, where all the valuable magical items, including the Sun Mirror, were kept. A familiar voice came from inside the vault. "What? A presence... Nathreee?"

I quickly hid behind a counter. "[Censored]! It's Xavier!" I heard his heavy demon footsteps across the hall. "Nathreee. I can always sense you. Just come out." I knew my stealth was my maxed out and he had no way of finding me, so I kept quiet. "Want to play tough? Fine." I heard something beeping. Then my mobile phone rang in my pocket. Xavier looked right at me. "There you are!"

The ringing turned out to be the alarm clock. It was 7.30 and time to get up.
If you're curious about my life: http://nathreee.livejournal.com
Nathreee
TSS Member

Postby Haki (HK-157) on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:31 pm

This was a dream you had?

-Haki
"Why do they call her Swiss Cheese Duke?"
"You'll see why when the shooting starts"
Haki (HK-157)
TSS Member

Postby Nathreee on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:33 pm

indeed

scary huh?
If you're curious about my life: http://nathreee.livejournal.com
Nathreee
TSS Member

Postby Haki (HK-157) on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:48 pm

You certainly have very vivid dreams. I on the other hand never get them. I know that if you don;t have them you go mad so I know I must have them.... right? ^_^

I just have no recollection of ever having one. Every time I wake up... all I recall is black and it is really boreing! I do not even get "I had a dream last night but I can't remember what it was about"...... I do not even get that. :p

-Haki
"Why do they call her Swiss Cheese Duke?"
"You'll see why when the shooting starts"
Haki (HK-157)
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:03 pm

There are ways to train your mind so you can remember your dreams, some methods even make you aware you are dreaming, making you do what you want in your dream, I had that once, it was very cool :P
Rake Tegler / SWG / Presumed dead.
Faelwen / MEO / Dead, sorry.
Fenix Rebirth / EVE / Alive
Sudene / AoC / Died pretty horribly.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Proto on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:04 am

What a great dream! Good material for an RPG session :-)

I also note Orakio being fairly typical, always thinking of defending the guild first before rushing off to fight :wink:

I've had dreams with my game characters in them, in many ways i suppose dreams and rpg games are very similar, not just in their content but in how they are constructed and experienced (imagination of course being a major factor). Computer-based RPGs kinda do a lot of that imagining for you.

I rarely remember my dreams in such vivid detail and i wish it happened more often, because the snippets i do remember are usually very tantalising and intriguing.

The mind is a fascinating machine isnt it?
Proto
PA Layabout
and General SlackerĀ®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?