"Grouping Not For Everyone" @ MMORPG.com

Post anything, about anything here!

"Grouping Not For Everyone" @ MMORPG.com

Postby Starman on Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:06 pm

Pointing out this article... if you ever thought or asked 'why solo in a group game?', then you might want to read this.

from http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/staffblog/0 ... r-Everyone :
Grouping Not For Everyone
Posted by Stradden Thursday July 9 2009 at 1:27PM

I just can’t get over how some people complain that MMOs, both current and in-development, are including a great deal of soloable content in their games. I keep reading post after post of people complaining that, “if people want to play solo, they should just play a single player game.” The problem is, there’s a point being missed here. People who play an MMO and prefer to play solo aren’t looking to play a single player game. In fact, a populated virtual world is exactly where they want to be.

Players who choose not to group aren’t necessarily anti-social. In fact, they probably enjoy playing in the same world as hundreds or thousands of other people. These same people, given a group of friends playing, would probably be open and eager to group play, they just don’t want to open themselves up to pick up groups with strangers who might not share their idea of what the game should be. There’s nothing worse for a role player or character / story driven player than to get into a group with a power gamer, and vice-versa. It’s often like oil and water, mixing the two just leaves you slippery and wet.

If you think about the way the social world around us actually works, it’s all based around the individual, the solo player. Some people choose to involve themselves in activities and jobs that require working closely (grouping) with other people, while others would choose to socialize with only a few and participate in jobs and activities that offer more individual opportunities. For the most part in life, it’s a matter of choice.

People want that same choice mirrored back to them in online games and virtual worlds. I think that originally, the kinds of people who were drawn toward MMOs were the kinds of people who were interested in social interactions with strangers, getting to know new people online through games and forming friendships that way. As the genre has progressed and a more diverse audience

The idea of a game, even a multiplayer game, gearing their entire design around forcing their players to group is counter-intuitive and even alienating to a large demographic of players. If you think about it, the last time that you were forced to group was probably for some kind of class project or activity in middle or high school and I don’t know about you, but I recall those always being a miserable experience.

In the end, what I think that everyone wants is a game that put the individual character first, making sure that character can compete with all others, whether in a group or solo, leaving it up to the individual players to decide if they want to use that character to group with others, or to play on their own.

Warhammer Online is a great example of a game that was designed with a group play mentality that ended up suffering for it. Since launch, players have been complaining about the balance of individual careers in the game. Complaints like: Sorcerers don’t stand a chance one on one against a Witch Hunter were rampant. The problem? Warhammer Online was designed to create balance for groups of players, not individual careers. The basic premise of Warhammer’s design is that players will be working together in groups, whether in scenarios or in an open RvR environment, so that one on one balance would take a back seat to group balance. While on the surface this kind of design makes sense, the reality saw players interested only in their own characters at the expense of group play. When players don’t work as a team in a system that is designed for team play, it gives the illusion of an imbalanced game.

In the end, a successful game is going to be a game that caters to both crowds, a game that allows and even encourages grouping without strictly penalizing those who don’t want to participate. The bottom line though is that just because a person would rather not group, doesn’t mean that they don’t want to play in a world with other people.

Starman/Dodgy Wanabe plus more alts @ Hydian Way
Back in WoW Sep '09 - Starelf & Co. - Roses of Dawn.
Vanguard: Sophi Silverstar (Ranger/Exemplar/Master Shipwright), Retired again Sep 10th '09.
SWG pre-NGE: Starman Wanabe, master defender / Starev the wookiee.
Starman

Re: "Grouping Not For Everyone" @ MMORPG.com

Postby Orakio on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 am

spot on, I'd say :)
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby Proto on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 am

Yup, that's exactly how I feel about solo play too.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Mythinite on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Anti-social gits! Get outta my guild! Go back to playing Solitaire! Shoo! :P

On a related note, Mortal Online is coming out in a couple of months with preorders starting tonight! :o_y:
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Postby Nathreee on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I hate being in a group where people are moving faster than I am. You kow the type... I like to look around, make conversation and try complete a quest/mission along the way. And a lot of players seem to be out to as much xp as they can as fast as they can, preferably without unnecessary banter...
If you're curious about my life: http://nathreee.livejournal.com
Nathreee
TSS Member

Postby Wighar on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:43 am

I have many times had people throw invites in my face in World of Warcraft, you know the kind, no question if one is busy or if you are able or in the area to assist or even if you are going to be on for a period of time.

this wasn't common for me in SWG which came as the first shock of WoW for me, later i had a mate do a GUI disabler mod that simply ignored the windows for the request frame (invite/duel/trade) as well as whisper on/off toggler (until i started running multiple channels tabs)

even though i am off topic more then on topic, my addition to the topic is that of players that lack the polite way of playing.
for example upon what i mean a more polite way:
my avatar see the avatar or mythinite, I am not aware if he has done the same quest or wants to help me with the quest i am on, thus i would start a conversation by being formal saying something in the form of "Excuse me, do you happend to know where (target) is?" following on we say that he has done the quest earlier and asking if he isn't busy and could help I would appretiate assistance.

now here we have a pretty decent start of a friendly start of things and is the most common way i used to search for new members to DeSun while we were playing SWG, and mostly the same way i have done recruiting as well since i started playing MMO's.

now that frankly is a approach that is more respectable then throwing a invite in the face of someone, if intrest arises to what is up one accepts only to get to know that you been invited to a group for a boss in a dungeon 40 minutes travel away and almost no one in the group has any idea where the dungeon is or even how to get there or do the dungeon obviously....
this has been the most common way i have been approached to groups, since then i am the one who has to ask what the invite is for and hope the person responds (though most do answer you can be met by silence), if its a group for a quest that is seemingly troubling and you were recommended by a guild mate or friend i can have oversite with the sudden invite request.
the other times you only get the response that they need a (player class) to do (job), this being someone that obviously did a who search on the social menu and randomly selecting or saw you passing by, most commonly it was to ask if i could Heal in the instance, My response is mostly in that situation that it wouldent be possible as i am a Tank and couldent possibly heal (some dont understand talent sets for some reason but ill spare that)

so you can understand it becomes an annoyance after a few weeks, then i simply made a macro that states that the message is pre-written and that I am not in LFG Channel or that states that The approach they used was rude or inpolite and i decline it.

(right i just deleted a big load of text here, like 40 lines as my uncouncious (Spelling?) as it usualy does steped in with what i call as multi-leveled thought processing or more like thinking of 4-5 things at the same time, and yeah it toke me a long time to balance it out, frankly i would love to only have 1 thought at a time in my head.)

ill end the post in fear of starting another rant.
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Postby Proto on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 pm

But rants are GOOOOD! :D
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Mythinite on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:42 am

But I never played an MMO with you Wighar, or any other game for that matter... Did I? Anyway!

I love grouping in MMOs, it's one of the major incentives to playing them instead of single player games. That's not to say I like getting invites slapped in my face by random people I don't know of course and sometimes you just want to get that quest done or grind that little bit of XP or whatever it is you're doing, and you don't want to bother with explaining everyone around you why you're being an asocial git! Of course I rarely like to group with random people at all. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but at the end of the day I'd much rather group with the people I know, the people I play the game with, my guild. They're the people I want to group up with and if they're not around I have little incentive to even play the game at all, so there! :P

/rant
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Postby Proto on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Nah, I just use my guild for lewts and buffwhores.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby suzziq on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:06 am

I feel so used!! (not by you I might add) :shock:
I am ready to meet my maker, whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter.
suzziq

Location: Suzyworld - where the men are men and dont pinch the lipstick

Postby levyne on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:37 pm

A really good article I think, so many people play MMORPG for different reasons and playstyles. I wish some were more respectful of that but the problem is when there are only a certain amount of dev resources people tend to try and press their style more, knowing the devs can not give content to everyone.

Something I always like about TSS is that it is accepted however you play. :)
levyne
TSS Member

Return to The G.A.T