recaptcha

Post anything, about anything here!

recaptcha

Postby Starman on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Would this work with our forums? The current system is generating a lot of frustration from our new forum users.

http://recaptcha.net/

http://recaptcha.net/whyrecaptcha.html
Starman/Dodgy Wanabe plus more alts @ Hydian Way
Back in WoW Sep '09 - Starelf & Co. - Roses of Dawn.
Vanguard: Sophi Silverstar (Ranger/Exemplar/Master Shipwright), Retired again Sep 10th '09.
SWG pre-NGE: Starman Wanabe, master defender / Starev the wookiee.
Starman

Re: recaptcha

Postby Wighar on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Starman wrote:Would this work with our forums? The current system is generating a lot of frustration from our new forum users.

http://recaptcha.net/

http://recaptcha.net/whyrecaptcha.html

your about 3-4 days late, the council are allready in pre-discussion on this topic, as of the moment i can't comment on any detailss as to when or if it will be integrated as there are a lot of things in between that can make the issue complicated.
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Postby Starman on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Wighar wrote:your about 3-4 days late, the council are allready in pre-discussion on this topic, as of the moment i can't comment on any detailss as to when or if it will be integrated as there are a lot of things in between that can make the issue complicated.

Erm...OK, thanks, I guess. :mrgreen:
Vanguard: Sophi Silverstar (Ranger/Exemplar/Master Shipwright), Retired again Sep 10th '09.
Starman

Postby Wighar on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:39 am

he he didnt mean to spoil it for you but quite funny me and orakio discussed the introduction of reCaptcha as a possibility in the new update/upgrade of the forum, however this has it's complications.

reCaptcha as it is now is only fully available to phpBB 2, there is a mod in beta stages that has been confirmed to work with various result in phpBB 3.0.5, it is not all good news however as they are having problems with the verification process.

If we are to use reCaptcha the mod needs to pass out of beta stage into RC or stable +1.x version before it can be considered safe, If not phpBB team decides to make reCaptcha standard for phpBB 3.0.6.
Wighar
Admin

Postby Starman on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 am

Also wondering if the recent anal spam passes thru our current system or are there small monkeys actually typing past the block? I've deleted my share of not mentionable stuff... :?
Starman

Postby Wighar on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:59 pm

theory is that at least 1 of 20 attempts is human, rest are bots.
the group policy experiment was ment to curtail this problematic but it brought more problems with it so it was scrapped,
Indeed yes the bots are getting more advanced and can get passed the Captcha registration control script, i can put the script on extreme complexity, however at extreme complexity not even I can read the letters and numbers
Wighar
Admin

Return to The G.A.T