Another low-maintenance browser strategy

Dedicated to the discussion of games that are not MMORPGs.

Another low-maintenance browser strategy

Postby Proto on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:51 pm

I'm having some fun with this low-maintenance Space game. Seems quite fun with only a few minutes a day required.

It's called Space Invasion, from a German company available on bigpoint.com.

Linkage!

Look me up if you try it and like it, I'm in there as protoskull.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General SlackerĀ®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Re: Another low-maintenance browser strategy

Postby Proto on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, almost a month on and I've given this up. It was not bad, but had some fundamental issues that I explained in my parting post on the game forums.

My advice to newbies...

Quit now before you waste any more time on this!

OK, OK, a hostile start but I hope you will hang around to hear my opinion of this game and take it into account in your thoughts.

First of all, I was very excited by the prospects of this game. Although not dissimilar to most of these types of games, i liked the clean (ish) interface and immediate playability. I liked the fact that I could make many choices about what to build initially and that everything took such a short time to construct. Within a few days I had a burgeoning infrastructure and a research lab built and was having fun choosing what to research and which direction my playstyle was going to take me. I must admit that for a total beginner, there is not very much help available to advise you. The help guide is... well... sub-standard, I'm sure you'll agree. You can eventually figure things out for yourself but it is very much a trial and error system which gets you there. One of the most important things for a complex strategy game is a very slick tutorial or help facility. The game fails this first and crucial test badly.

At the end of the week I had persevered and several new options were open to me. It was round about this time that I had my first incoming attack. I was surprised how fast the attack comes. Unless you are online within a very narrow window you can do nothing to protect yourself, like spending resources, sending your transports on save missions, or running your fleet. Again, this is very disappointing and very demotivating. You are forced to check every hour and even then that may not be often enough. Again, poor marks for this.

There is newbie and bash protection though! Hurrah, thought I, until I understood exactly how that works. The attack zone system is fundamentally flawed, because planets at the middle to top end of an attack zone are far far more powerful than their prospective targets in the middle or to the bottom of the zone that is two below them. Ridiculously so. I was being attacked regularly by planets that dwarfed mine in terms of points, all within the allowed two zone scope. Very bad marks for this.

But still I persevered, my objective being the technology to build colony ships. Let me assure you it is most difficult to save up enough for a colony ship when you are having half your resources stash stolen every day, again highly demotivating. At last, after obtaining Colony Ship technology and colonising two nearby planets in my galaxy, things were looking up. A few transport runs later and both new colonies were thriving and growing nicely. Now, a month from when i started, I am finding myself logging in and thinking, what the hell is the point here? There is no objective, other than climbing a meaningless rank table, but worse, much worse, than that, there is absolutely no incentive to attack anyone even remotely close to you in size (it is much easier to bash a younger planet, not once, but repeatedly, essentially creating a number of human farms who are utterly powerless to stop you). This is perhaps the worst mistake the game makes. You have to be online every hour or more to protect your planet (even then it is difficult to achieve), you cannot build up a fleet to counterattack or to defend with because your attackers not only will have a larger fleet but will be able to replace any losses much more quickly and return in greater numbers.

I have had my (short-lived) fun with this game. There are better space strategy games out there, including free ones. Until there is a better system regarding attacker/defender size ratio this game will remain fundamentally flawed. As is, the game is controlled by the planets who joined the universe the earliest, with little or no hope of anyone joining later catching up. Whilst this is not inherently dissimilar to a sizeable proportion of the games out there, the rich/poor divide, if you will, is more pronounced and has a much more terminal effect on the quality of the game for anyone not joining on day 1, hour 1.

So, thank you Bigpoint, for a decent game, provided free of charge, but ultimately a disappointment due to the critical flaws I mentioned above. I hope further versions address these issues then I would happily come back to play again. For now, I advise anyone who has started semi-recently, to give up now, and wait for a reset or new universe, and in the meantime, play something else. My three planets will not become inactive for a while, so if you want some easy pickings check out 2:168. I've long since lost any worthwhile defences.

Have fun!
Proto
PA Layabout
and General SlackerĀ®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------