Civ III - A nifty mod

Dedicated to the discussion of games that are not MMORPGs.

Civ III - A nifty mod

Postby Proto on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Calling all Warhammer fans, here's a a little something to tide you over till the WAR begins. It's a mod for Civ3 set in the Warhammer world with all your favourite races and units on show. Just downloading it myself as I type but it looks quite nice :-)

Clickage!
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Silvra on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Uuh how exciting!
Please share your impressions when you've tried it.

It looks entertaining :)
You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different.
Silvra

Postby Proto on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Gonna give it a bash tonight. I'll let you know.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Proto on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:22 pm

lmfao
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Proto on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:23 pm

I used to think of myself as quite an accomplished CivIII player. Until, that is, I ran into the fiendish opponents of this mod. There's nothing in particular in the mod notes which warns you just how aggressive the AI will be in this Warhammer mod but believe me, they like to expand. A lot.

I tried playing as Chaos first, but after a couple of hours and some exploration I realised quite quickly that I had been dealt a harsh starting position, with very few resources at my disposal and crucially, no access to any of the metals or horses I needed to build decent combat units. So, when the High Elves declared war on me for refusing to give up the secrets of Domestication (I guess they really wanted sheep *shrug*) it wasn't long before I was struggling to hold my northern perimeter against the pointy-eared goits. Within a few turns the Elves and the Reiklanders (damn you Karl-Franz) had signed a military alliance against me and now my southern border was being raided by Reiksguard Knights and Wizards. I restarted before it got too messy, but my position was untenable and they would eventually have wiped me out. Not even an alliance with the Beastmen made any difference, with my goat-faced friends being too far away and with too poor a road infrastructure to affect the outcome.

So, not too disheartened, I restarted with Dark Elves and immediately enjoyed the benefits of their basic defensive unit (the Dark Elf Spearman) having a tasty move rate of 2 (all elves have this, except Settlers and Workers). With easier scouting I was able to pick out some juicy spots for my first flurry of colonies and soon I had 10 decent colonies churning out tax, science and the ever so useful wonders for my burgeoning empire. Imagine my surprise when the my Science advisor informed me that the mighty Dark Elf civilisation was the least technologically advanced in the world! "How!?" I exclaimed. The rival nations were completing wonders I couldn't even start yet. And all this with what I thought was a very good start. Militarily, I figured I could compete. I was to learn otherwise soon enough though, when the Slann more or less annihilated me in a 20 turn massacre, all started because I, umm, accidentally fired a Fireblast spell at one of their meandering settlers who had ventured into my borders... I mean, really, come on...

The first two games have been tough, generally, but there are still lots of cool features to this mod that I will attempt to explain below. i am only just discovering a lot of these features and I'm sure there are still lots I have yet to discover!

The basic game follows the original CivIII quite closely. Each race has it's own unique units with different stats, although generally these units become available with the same tech and are roughly similar in purpose. For example, the Chaos bowman has similar stats to his Dark Elf counterpart, with the son of Malekith benefiting from a faster movement rate. The chaos bowman is accordingly cheaper to construct.

Spells exist in the game in roughly equivalent format to CivIII missiles. One-shot bombards which you can relocate to various cities which have a Mage Guild constructed there. There are also units which can "transport" spells, sorcerors, wizards etc) although I haven't yet reached high enough in the tech tree to have use of these units yet.

The AI likes to build wonders (generally a turn or three before I am finished constructing! Gah!!) and combat units, and seems to always have a significant force nearby that it can bring up to the front line to counter your attacks. In a new development, you can construct Armies, into which you place your units, and when these come under attack the best defender for the situation will automatically be the primary defence unit. They have offensive options too I have read about but again, I haven't managed to get to a stage where I can build these yet.

There are a lot more resources on the maps in these games too, some of them working just like luxuries in vanilla CivIII and some simply offering enhanced resource production if your population is working the tile. Generally, these benefits are very significant, and if you can manage to get a colony started using one of the sweet resource nodes it can grow very quickly and very large in comparison to the standard colonies built around the grassland tiles with the 1 shield production. Like original Civ, there are many units which cant be constructed without access for your empire to a particular resource. There are far more of these resource-requiring units than in Vanilla CivIII though and if you are unlucky in the placement of key resources (Iron, Timber and Horses spring immediately to mind) then you can be at a real disadvantage from early on. For my next game, locating a assuming control of these nodes as early as possible will be high on my early game agenda.

The whole mod is festooned in Warhammer lore, every Civilopedia entry is based on the Lore and is actually a lot of fun to read. Every unit has unique graphics (although some races do share some graphics, like Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves) and there are even Warhammer-themed advisor and race pictures.

There are several races to choose from. I'll list all the ones I can remember here:

Reiklanders
Westerlanders
Norse
Kislevites
Hordes of Chaos
Orcs
Goblins
Dark Elves
Skaven (!!)
High Elves
Wood Elves
Tileans
Arabians
Cathayans
Slann
Nippon
Dwarves
Chaos Dwarves
Sylvanians (Vampire Counts)
Bretonnians
Beastmen

and more. The list is quite exhaustive and you are sure to find your favoured race here.

There are a few other differences too, but I am just finding these out myself and I want to leave some things for you to discover if you decide to download and install the mod. I heartily recommend that you do!

9/10 - and dont let the difficulty put you off!
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
Whois Proto?