Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Dedicated to the discussion of games that are not MMORPGs.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Postby Silvra on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Hello all :euro:

Beggin' your pardon, fellow TSS people, for abusing this forum to let out some bile... :wink:

I just completed the game, and I must say - That was probably the worst ending of a game, nay a story, that I have ever experienced... Even calling it a "bad ending" is giving it too much credit, for there really is no "ending", there's just ... nothing!!!

I played it because I went through The Longest Journey and absolutely loved the story.

But this time!? :lame:

A story is not supposed to leave main plot elements untouched at the ending, completely ignoring the very things that you, the player, have been curious and excited to learn more about. Picking up main characters only to later dump them in the wayside, paying no attention whatsoever to them at the end is no mark of quality either...

There is simply something wrong when you as a player have more unanswered questions at the end of the game, than when you were 3/4 through it.

Which only leaves me to suspect that the clueless writers must have suffered from severe cases of short term memory, caused by some sort of extreme drug abuse. Either that - or there were no professsional writers, because they simply chose to outsource the writing of the story to chimps in Equatorial Guinea for cost-benefit reasons...

*cough*

Well, ehm... have any of you played it?

And more importantly, did it leave you with the same dissappointment?
Or is it just me who is either clueless or a grumpy overly critical bastard :D
You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different.
Silvra

Re: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Postby Neko on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:56 pm

Hia! Never played that game, but from your description it sounds more like a typical case of
"We wanted to include more but time got short and so we couldn't finish it the way we liked".
I often have the feeling with some games with bad endings that the team had to rush at some
point to get it finished in some way and that totaly ruins the experience. And of course, no one
has time to fix that after release. A sad thing that happens too often :(
Neko
TSS Member

Postby Orakio on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:35 pm

AFter reading that, I'm glad I did not buy the game!

Try the witcher instead :) can't guarantee youll like the ending there, but at least that's only because of the story itself :D
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby suzziq on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Just bought Dreamfall boxed set cheap (includes original game with crappy graphics, but eh its a bit old lol *who said like me? :lol: *) with a lovely hardback art book included. Will see how it goes, but stuck in a cave at the moment as April...thank god for walkthroughs :roll: :roll: ....

Must admit alternating between the two games I prefer the original one, the actress who voices april ryan makes me laugh she is sooo goood

Hope the ending isn't as bad a Silvra makes out :? :?

Finished Witcher (awesome fight scene graphics) and now I am in love with a long white haired man with a scar...how can I luv a toon???.....jeez I must be going senile..... :bum: :bum: :bum: :omg:
I am ready to meet my maker, whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter.
suzziq

Location: Suzyworld - where the men are men and dont pinch the lipstick

Postby velkairiwyth on Thu May 01, 2008 9:09 am

Well as they say, women love a bastard :p

But he rocks :D
Siggy Wiggy Woo.
velkairiwyth

Postby Silvra on Sat May 03, 2008 11:01 pm

I prefered the original by far as well Suzzie, it was just an amazing story, plus you had the coolest sidekick EVER! :wink:

And don't worry about the cave, I was stuck there as well and had to use a walkthrough, plus in a number of other locations... :roll:
Silvra

Postby suzziq on Mon May 05, 2008 1:24 am

Actually very stuck in The Longest Journey atm...chapter 3 in the police station archives. Have both printouts but the code doesnt work on that wierd keypad. The red light flashes each time I enter a piece of code and I cant get the folder in my invoice. Plus I am locked in, followed walkthroughs carefully but to no avail...I hope I am not stuck in this room forever (I am a good girl I am) :cry: :cry: :cry:

Someone please send me a cake with a file in it.....or a baseball and I can be like steve mcqueen in the great escape and be cooler king.....
(or just try to shove some chocolate under the door)
I am ready to meet my maker, whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter.
suzziq

Postby suzziq on Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 am

Just finished the longest journey, that was fun, loved the actors voices, they made the game for me. Never thought I would say that considering the crappy graphics, but just goes to show that there is more to a game than the way it looks, Better than dreamfall.

Just started FABLE, not far in game play (ie keyboard usage bit strange but will get used to it. Also have broken sword trilogy (not sure how far i will get with these, cos I don't think I like them :( )so...actually getting confused between the different keyboard ways of playing these games and it doesnt take much to confuse this old brain nowadays) will be busy for a while.....*darn there goes the cooking and laundry again*

Hey do I look like I care? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hubby just bought Rome Barbarian Invasion....so even if his food and laundry isnt done, well hey he won't care anyway. (and I heard a man can wear a pair of underpants 4 ways before they need to get washed)... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
suzziq

Postby Proto on Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 pm

suzziq wrote: (and I heard a man can wear a pair of underpants 4 ways before they need to get washed)... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

No! You can turn them inside out after 4 days, thereby doubling your efficiency (or halving your woman's workload, if you prefer).

:bum: :wink:
Proto
PA Layabout
and General SlackerĀ®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Silvra on Sat May 17, 2008 7:39 pm

Proto wrote:
suzziq wrote: (and I heard a man can wear a pair of underpants 4 ways before they need to get washed)... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

No! You can turn them inside out after 4 days, thereby doubling your efficiency (or halving your woman's workload, if you prefer).

:bum: :wink:

Underpants? Who wears underpants?! 8)
Silvra

Return to Non-MMORPGs