The Exodus, 5 years later

Discuss SOE's Star Wars Galaxies.

The Exodus, 5 years later

Postby Wighar on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:14 am

Yes ladies and gentlemen today, November 15th 2010, it is 5 years since the NGE hit SWG, Let's take some time to reflect on what we lost and what we mourn.

I have fond memories of the now lost Loka DeSuna, most of DeSun left that day, some staggered on to try and live the saga but the greatest story to be told, yours!, it was now lost in favor of iconism...

The Combat Upgrade was a drag but at least one could play it and had not as much an impact on the general player base as it regained a few of those who left, not like the NGE where my friendslist went from 80-100 average active players to like 10 the first week (and that mentioned those 10 was mostly just DeSun members that stayed.) I tried NGE for a while but it was not the same, it was limited, it was not ... me anymore...

5 Years has now passed and I still think of Loka DeSuna, standing outside our city mall, going in to see the decorations by Catana... last time I was in game during the NGE think last year or at the start of this year during a free play period I found the city gone, the mall mostly vendorless, most of the decorations gone

|
|Honoured in death
|Star Wars Galaxies
|-\\ 2005-11-15 //-
|
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Re: The Exodus, 5 years later

Postby velkairiwyth on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 am

<3 I do miss those city walls... It has been about 7 years since I last stepped foot in them ^.^

Fingers crossed those still kicking around from them thar days will end up in a game together soon :D - Im kinda active again in wow and will stick about to check Cataclysm, but other than that - all too busy to support serious MMORPG play outside holiday seasons :/
Siggy Wiggy Woo.
velkairiwyth

Postby Haki (HK-157) on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm

For me the only effects of the new gaming systems were player numbers. If the changes did not make people switch to other games and had things not got horribly political at STNL then I would have kept going for perhaps a year more.

It is funny that as a computer game, it is 2 or so years of my life that I will never get back but I only admit to myself (and now you lot) that I do have fond memories of my time there. SWG is my only proper MMORPG experience as I was only in WoW for a few months and Neocron for about the same time. I have resisted the urge to play any MMO since as I chose life.

There are so many things that spring to mind one after the other. I played a lot of micro role play mostly as a street trooper, always grinding unbuffed and sometimes in character, dabbled in space and for a short while and was even able to contribute a little vision to the design of Loka. I only wish I had taken more screengrabs to get a more comprehensive record of my time there. Of course some of the very best images were when Nuke and I were together doing all manner of silliness.

-Haki
"Why do they call her Swiss Cheese Duke?"
"You'll see why when the shooting starts"
Haki (HK-157)
TSS Member

Postby Orakio on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Alas, I lost my entire directory of SWG memories and happenings when not paying attention while cleaning up the hard drive, a few years back. All the weekly suns, the many many screenshots, the meeting drafts, the lists of members I used to keep track, ... A terrible shame. Equal to Haki, I spent somewhat every free moment online at that time. And even though that time could have been used to do other things, I'm glad I was there with everyone. The seeds were sown for a lifelong friendship with some of the people on this forum :euro:

Oh, and I left even before the combat revamp, let alone the NGE. Glad I did, although I had seen what the game had to offer before all that. The exodus must have been horrible for many, and I praise myself lucky I wasn't there.
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby aenedor on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Heh, NGE was not that bad, just quite different (almost WOW like LOL!).

But it is cool that so much has grown out of our days in SWG.
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Haki (HK-157) on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm

What can I say other than it is no longer an exodus as I am back all be it on Starsider. I made the character transfer yesterday and I am hooking up with the Starsider RP lot.
A week ago a bunch of us at work got talking about old games we loved and I was overcome with nostalgia. I thought I would wait until winter to give it another go but I lasted about two days before reactivating my account and having Haki moved.

I will not be doing the hours I used to do even if I wanted to as I am in the southern hemisphere these days so the time zone is somewhat prohibitive but a little dabbling in RP now and again should prove rewarding. That is the key for me. A game does not have to be great by others standards. I have no idea what the adventuring and PvM is like as I never really did any but the communities are good and the game has a solid foundation for RP needs.
If anyone who is still playing stumbles upon this thread then you can catch me on Starsider as Haki' (An old slot of mine did not release the name so it had to be edited slightly).

-Haki
"Why do they call her Swiss Cheese Duke?"
"You'll see why when the shooting starts"
Haki (HK-157)
TSS Member

Return to Star Wars Galaxies