Final death of SWG

Discuss SOE's Star Wars Galaxies.

Final death of SWG

Postby Wighar on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 pm

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT STAR WARS GALAXIES™ - STAR WARS GALAXIES SERVICE WILL END ON DECEMBER 15 wrote:Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

Click [url="http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/playerinfo/"}here[/url]for more information.

as posted by Admin Mepps

Quoted in full from http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1220357 SWG Forums @ 'Sony Online Entertainment'
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Re: Final death of SWG

Postby aenedor on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:43 am

I guess the writing was on the wall with SWTOR coming out.

Well SWG was good to us, we have multiple guilds over mutiple years in multiple games to thank it and Tuorn for.

:)
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Virinai on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:17 am

i have played SWG from the start and absolutely loved the crafting and harvesting sytem, unrivaled even untill today !
the lack of content made us leave though, and its a shame I didnt know you lot back then :)

My days in VG are now over as well, had good times under Aenedor, ty for that mate, but most if not all of you quit :(

WIll see you lot in SWTOR i reckon !

How's RIFT for you guys (aenodor f.e.)?

Virinai
Lajani
Thorsca
Araxia
Virinai
TSS Newbie

Postby Virinai on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:17 am

i have played SWG from the start and absolutely loved the crafting and harvesting sytem, unrivaled even untill today !
the lack of content made us leave though, and its a shame I didnt know you lot back then :)

My days in VG are now over as well, had good times under Aenedor, ty for that mate, but most if not all of you quit :(

WIll see you lot in SWTOR i reckon !

How's RIFT for you guys (aenodor f.e.)?

Virinai
Lajani
Thorsca
Araxia
Virinai
TSS Newbie

Postby aenedor on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:41 am

Virinai wrote:How's RIFT for you guys (aenodor f.e.)?

Seems to be going very well, we have good numbers, we are taking our first steps in the 20 person raid Greenscales Blight, there is a buzz about the guild :)
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Virinai on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Good to hear :)

After doing the Beta I wasnt satisfied about the game sadly, so i decided not to play it.

GL in there !
Virinai
TSS Newbie

Postby Poet on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:35 pm

I have very fond memories of playing Tienna in Loka Desuna, they were good times. :mrgreen:
Poet
TSS Member

Postby Jehlicka on Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Ah...sad to hear so. Hope VG will survive bit longer :(
Anyway will meet you all in new SW coming 2012 I guess.

Take care!
.:.Jehlicka.:.
Jehlicka
TSS Member

Postby Nemas on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Why not give swgemu a shoot? I play on liberator server and there is prob activity then there was on chimaera 4 years ago. Sure some things doesnt work and its glitchy etc etc but it´s free and working good enough for me atleast :D
Skinfather:" With my luck ppl probably wouldnt die anymore if i bought a graveyard."
Nemas
TSS Member

Postby aenedor on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Tienna, Mr Nemas Ali, good to hear from you both :) the memories come flooding back :)
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Nemas on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Then join me and ladido and igloo on swgemu and create some new fond memories :wink:
Skinfather:" With my luck ppl probably wouldnt die anymore if i bought a graveyard."
Nemas
TSS Member

Postby Starman on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

Smedley interviewed about this at:

Exclusive: Smedley on the sunsetting of Star Wars Galaxies

R.I.P. Starman -- my first MMO toon ever.
Starman/Dodgy Wanabe plus more alts @ Hydian Way
Back in WoW Sep '09 - Starelf & Co. - Roses of Dawn.
Vanguard: Sophi Silverstar (Ranger/Exemplar/Master Shipwright), Retired again Sep 10th '09.
SWG pre-NGE: Starman Wanabe, master defender / Starev the wookiee.
Starman

Postby Haki (HK-157) on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:31 am

Bring on SWGEMU! Good old times in SWG and plenty to come thanks to those hard working lads and laddets.

-Haki
"Why do they call her Swiss Cheese Duke?"
"You'll see why when the shooting starts"
Haki (HK-157)
TSS Member

Return to Star Wars Galaxies