EQ2 dunbed down or have I gained vast IQ in 12 months..

Open up this section to find all TSS info related to SOE's EQ2!

Postby ouasu on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Yes.
ouasu
TSS Member

Re: EQ2 dunbed down or have I gained vast IQ in 12 months..

Postby aenedor on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:57 pm

Rashy wrote:This game had become WoW except it has worse graphics

You sure? when I played it the graphics were way better than WoW.
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Orakio on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:27 pm

aenedor wrote:

That's a matter of taste really. I also think wow's are the best graphics there are out there, simply because it's so authentic and BLOODY SMOOTH! WoW's graphics beat most single-player games in playability and making impressions. An example is trying to remember the first time you entered stormwind or Ironforge. Those cities are overwhelming experiences because of the sheer amount of eye-candy present. Not the quality, but the quantity made it so great..
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby Sentenza on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 pm

Rashy wrote:Is it just me or has this game been dumbed down to a ridiculous extent?
I have not played for a year I admit but...
Gone are the hallmark citizen quests, gone are the class unlocks, now you are what you are, Crafting is easier which is good, but now it is like sooo easy.
This game had become WoW except it has worse graphics & SoEs shoddy customer service, which unfortunately has not changed...
I have not kept up on the changes on this game and some are better but the loss of the hallmark stuff is crazy, it was the best part of character progression....

Does anyone have any ideas or views on this ?

prolly you are right ... didn't ran into any quest called Hallmark Citizen Quests so far, same with
class unlocking, which isn't neccessary actually ... just I got the advantage of to be too late and
as I never experienced what you are talking about, I don't miss it ...
would fit to my view of SOE thou.
Basically I can live with the quest- and combat-systems and I like the craftings, because it is not
this click-orientated.
Grafics don't interest me very much as long as I like to watch myself or others, so that's not an
issue. If Saga of Ryzom wasn't too grindy I could even live with their grafics.

My actual situation in EQ2 is: I am playing a game, I just like medium ... the reason to head there
was more to keep contact to Nimia and participate her RP-guild to get some lessions. But even
here EQ2 gives just medium requirements. There are a lot of emotes supporting a more rp-orien-
tated gameplay, but on the other hand the areas are very level-bound and it is hard to meet people
of higher levels to be with.

Months ago, prolly even on the old forums, Orakio stated, that WoW will set the standards for the
next 5-10 years in MMO's. We just can hope that the "copies" will become better and better again.
Sentenza . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rate TSS at WAR!

Vanguard (Halgar): Cynamoon, Mho, Shabby, Rhoselyn, Yaya, Nhew, Clou,
Sentenza

Postby velkairiwyth on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:19 am

To the best of my knowledge Rashy, they are aiming to release EQ2 on consoles (PS3? wii?) so they will need to simplify the interface and a lot of the things you can do to make it manageable for the control pad, and draw in the console gamers.

Not 100% sure on this, but this would certainly explain it...
Siggy Wiggy Woo.
velkairiwyth

Postby ouasu on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:26 am

I think it was on the Wii ;)
ouasu
TSS Member

Postby aenedor on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:09 am

velkairiwyth wrote:To the best of my knowledge Rashy, they are aiming to release EQ2 on consoles (PS3? wii?) so they will need to simplify the interface and a lot of the things you can do to make it manageable for the control pad, and draw in the console gamers.

Not 100% sure on this, but this would certainly explain it...

EQ2 was dumbed down in order to attract WoW players/stop players going to WoW (same as SWG), WoW set peoples expectations at a different level.
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby aenedor on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 am

Orakio wrote:
aenedor wrote:

That's a matter of taste really. I also think wow's are the best graphics there are out there, simply because it's so authentic and BLOODY SMOOTH! WoW's graphics beat most single-player games in playability and making impressions. An example is trying to remember the first time you entered stormwind or Ironforge. Those cities are overwhelming experiences because of the sheer amount of eye-candy present. Not the quality, but the quantity made it so great..

On my PC as it was then with the graphics set as high as I could and still get a fairly decent framerate, I though Qeynos looked quite stunning and realistic. ROFL I am starting to wonder if I played a different EQ2 ;)
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Nathreee on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:33 am

Well, though GW is not as smooth, the eye-candy is impressive too. I suggest you check it out sometimes.
If you're curious about my life: http://nathreee.livejournal.com
Nathreee
TSS Member

Postby Icag on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:27 am

Is it just me or has this game been dumbed down to a ridiculous extent?
I have not played for a year I admit but...
Gone are the hallmark citizen quests, gone are the class unlocks, now you are what you are, Crafting is easier which is good, but now it is like sooo easy.
This game had become WoW except it has worse graphics & SoEs shoddy customer service, which unfortunately has not changed...
I have not kept up on the changes on this game and some are better but the loss of the hallmark stuff is crazy, it was the best part of character progression....

Does anyone have any ideas or views on this ?

The citizen quests and class quest are gone yes. But that in my oppinion is good. They where just a big pain in the ****. Hallmark quests still exist but not for thoose twos. There is still some huge quest series with wery nice history and lore as you progress in them like the peacock series in desert flames and some otheres.

Crafting is dumbed down real much. For good and bad. Good thing that you get your crafted item faster. But bad things is that you realy need to grind hard to get somewhere in crafting. It has been dumbed down in my oppinion for many reasons. One being that in order to complete some of the high lvl heritage quest you need to be up to lvl 65 as a artisan and the other being trying to lure some wow palyers over.

As of graphs its as amazing as it always been and not wows cartoon network grapfs (sry) . But overall the game has improved much since first launch. With the echoes of faydwer the game has grown hugely (haventy tried it yet but will tonight yeaa)

/Me at work
EQ2 Eminee/Icag/Clas/Padoba
SWG Icag 12 pt Chef :D and Epow Smuggler
WAR Takgub Goblin Squig Herder
Icag

Postby velkairiwyth on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Yes, it does seem a trend - to WOWise games... But who wants another WOW? you have wow, you either play it or you want something different... The fact of the matter is adapting a game to be like another means your very unlikely to surpass that other game, and regardless, your not attracting much more custom, and likely driving those away that played it because they didnt want to play wow...

/rant.

As for citizenship quests etc, I thought this was very good. It gave you a sort of tutorial into the game aswell as the start zone, you only had to do it once - so what is the big deal? It is a shame :( I for one will miss it if i ever play EQ2 again...
Siggy Wiggy Woo.
velkairiwyth

Postby aenedor on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:21 pm

[quote="velkairiwyth"]Yes, it does seem a trend - to WOWise games... But who wants another WOW? you have wow, you either play it or you want something different... quote]

Different can be more than just the mechanics of the game. I play SWG because I love Star Wars, the mechanics are secondary.
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Linke_Wipeout on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Orakio you gotta be drunk to think wow has good graphics ,,, really ,,
yes the player graphs are ok , but general textures are crappy ...even Quake 3 had better ...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
i 'R Linke
Det är faan inte några rosa moln där ute...räksallad i dojjorna och insvept i en stulen jäger banderoll
Linke_Wipeout
TSS Member

Postby Nathreee on Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:35 pm

I don't agree, Linke. Ok, so it's cartoonish, but I've never played a game that had such a smooth feeling to it. The way cloaks and hair flutters when you move or cast a spell is incredible. It's little details like that.

The only thing I've been more astonished about, is the fact that in GW you actually get a sense of impact when you hit someone or when someone hits you, instead of just swinging that sword the same way a hundred times and slowly seeing the HP of the enemy drop.
If you're curious about my life: http://nathreee.livejournal.com
Nathreee
TSS Member

Postby Orakio on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:25 pm

Linke_Wipeout wrote:Orakio you gotta be drunk to think wow has good graphics ,,, really ,,
yes the player graphs are ok , but general textures are crappy ...even Quake 3 had better ...

As I said, Amount of textures, not the quality of it. It's creates an unmatched atmosphere. In any other game a house in a city can't contain more than 4 walls, a floor a ceiling a few chairs and a table. perhaps a closet. any more and the lag will kick in. Walk into one random building in Stormwind and start naming everything you see that's not just a coloured panel. It's a lot, trust me.
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Next