Everquest II

Open up this section to find all TSS info related to SOE's EQ2!

Everquest II

Postby Akotha on Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Anyone playing this?

I used to when it was released but quit short before Desert of Flames was released.
I'm developing the Everquest II: Crafter's tool so I usually get stuff sent to me from SOE and today they sent me a copy of EQII incl. the new expansion Kingom of Sky, gonna check it out and I'm very curious on the PvP-server :)

Gonna give a report asap.
Akotha
Site administrator and Tech support
--------------------------------------
BF2142: Ackotha
BF2: Ackotha
SWG: Ackotha/Ackothica/Oxep/Ilily :: Taking a long vacation on Naboo
DnL: Akotha/Mhago :: R.I.P
EQ2 (Darathar PvP): Akotha/Akothica :: R.I.P
SoG: Akotha :: R.I.P
EQ2 (Splitpaw): Akotha/Mago :: R.I.P
SWG: Akotha :: R.I.P
EVE: Xilith :: R.I.P
Neocron: Eagle :: R.I.P
Akotha
Admin

Postby Akotha on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:48 am

Played some hours yesterday, created an Erudite.

So, the new stuff shows already at the start of this game, you actually choose your class when you create your character, kinda odd seeing my lvl9 Erudite with the class tag "Wizard" this early :)
Now I'm not sure if you actually can change that class or not later on...

They've even added to the intro-story which is cool :)

Also as the story has progressed the old newbie island which used to be called something I don't recall but mine was called "Overlord Outpost" or something. It's the same little island but they've removed all the old NPC's and all the old mobs and replaced them with new ones and to be honest I like the new quests given on this newbie island.
- One of the quests is that you are given 4 small mice which you are to place near falcons or eagles I think, when you place it near one of these birds it will fly down to eat it, that's when you kill it for it's "feathers" :)
Another thing I liked about the new island was that you where able to solo all the quests (atleast as a spellcaster).

Now I haven't played so much in the big world more than that I traveled to one of my old grinding places where I spent my time as lvl6-10 or so but that place is all changed, some kind of Overlord stronghold or something with badass mobs (for a lvl9 toon ;)).
So I wen't to "the Graveyard" which was more or less the same.

I will spend some more time with the game on sunday and see if there's new quests in the "old world of everquest II", so far it's looking good.

Also there's a whole new world of "floating islands" with the new "kingdom of sky" expansion pack which I'll check out. Don't have Desert Flames as I gave my cd-key away to a friend of mine ( :shock: :roll: )

Will report on any new content in the old world aswell as the PvP system which looks Very promising what I've read about it (read about it here)
Akotha
Akotha
Admin

Postby Grendor on Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:19 am

I think there way too much light-effects whenever you do something, it looks horrible... And all that area loading/shifting, yawwnnn.....

The Graphics looked great though and the system looked nice too, i just can´t be bothered to load every 5 mins or less of running, that´s def. not for me.
Talking is silence, but silver is golden
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Proto on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Downloaded the "Trial of the Isle" of this, which allows you to play on the tutorial Island and i did enjoy it. It's a shame that it doesn't let you see what the crafting system is like, which is not available to you until you upgrade to a full account.

I also created an Erudite Wizard, (great minds think alike eh Akotha? :wink:) and after I tweaked some settings i got it looking not too bad on my piece of crap graphics card. I'd have to upgrade that to play in a busy area though, but I've been in dire need of a new card for a while now.

I wont be upgrading to the full version of the game any time soon as the greed of Sony pisses me off greatly. It's not enough to pay every month but when they add some content you have to pay all over again for the expansion. I suppose this is a common practice in this industry but what really puts the icing on the cake is the extra monthly subscription they want you to pay to join "EQ2players" a feature which lets you view your profile out-of-game and have access to various other resources such as an item database which really should be included with your standard sub.

Personally I didn't find the load times all that annoying although the entire Tutorial Island (apart from one chamber which is instanced) was just one continuous area so I never really encountered a load screen too much.

So, quick capsule review - Nice graphics, good array of character choice and abilities; shame it's run by $ony.

What's the crafting like then Akotha (or anyone else who might have played it)?
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Akotha on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Crafting is sweet, howerver it's like Rashy said, it's complicated (in my terms... likey likey :D), but the lack of space is quite rediculous, you got 5 backpack slots (I think) where you can have big backpacks, think like 20+ slots in each backpack, not to sure there but they are big :)
And you got the bank, think maybee 6 or 8 slots there where you can fill them with "Boxes" where there's tons of slots in, like 30 or something in each and also 4 "shared" slots for you alt. chars's access.
And you also got 4 slots in your house. But as a dedicated crafter, eek, it's to little, especially when you're used to SWG :D

Also regarding crafting is that most of the bad ass equiptment is loot-only which is sad. they could have done it so that you can loot some really sweet eq. but have a crafter "alter" it so it's even sweeter after that :)

Anyways I did a digidownload from SOE on the Desert of Flames exp pack today and think I will spend my time there, I really like the "new" EQ2 and with two new exp. packs to explore I think I will have my hands full. And lets not forget the PvP! :D

Also, if anyone want to test it out, not just the trial of the island or whatever it's called, give me a PM and I'll give you a CD-Key you can use. I got one which will work with the Desert of Flames exp and one for the Kingom of the Sky expansion. They are both 7-days trial and as far as I know you'll get full access to the game. (just need to find somewhere to download it, how big is the trial?)
Akotha
Akotha
Admin

Postby Proto on Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:32 pm

If I recall correctly, the launcher downloaded about 1.4Gb during the install process.

The Free Trial of the Isle can be found here
::::::Direct Download
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Silver on Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:50 pm

I play EQ2.

I have several characters on US server called everfrost.
both qeynos and freeport side.
Silver
TSS Member

Postby Akotha on Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:46 pm

Silver wrote:I play EQ2.

I have several characters on US server called everfrost.
both qeynos and freeport side.

Ah, I used to play on Splitpaw (EU server) but will not play on that one now, I will be playing "fulltime" on Darathar (EU PvP server)
Akotha