Pirates of the burning sea

the official seamap for TSS-Sailors, -Privateers and -Pirates

Pirates of the burning sea

Postby Grendor on Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:42 am

Headlights: User created content, planned battles between factions, massive adventure

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/overview/gameID/68

News part of it:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameID/68
Talking is silence, but silver is golden
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Grendor on Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:37 am

A linky for an article made by the chief pirate developing this game, explaining why he is the perfect man for the job since he hates MMO´s.

A warning though, part of it sounds like i could have written it! :lol:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setview/features/loadFeature/704/gameID/68
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:02 pm

I'm definetly going to try this one out, I was waiting for a more unique MMO to come out, this one will do just fine :)

Too bad you can only play Spanish, English and French, I thought the Dutch were kinda owning the seas in those periods. I wonder why they were left out.
Rake Tegler / SWG / Presumed dead.
Faelwen / MEO / Dead, sorry.
Fenix Rebirth / EVE / Alive
Sudene / AoC / Died pretty horribly.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Grendor on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:18 pm

according to my history the dutch was the 4th largest representation, guess they only needed 3?
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:19 pm

oh bummer :( oh well maybe later in an expansion :P
Last edited by Gaera on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Grendor on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:27 pm

You´ll just have to build your own Fluyt for now and hoist the dutch flag, up the orange and ohoy men! :D
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:34 pm

I dunno, but according to this article it sounds like they pretty much were deeply involved
During a large part of the 17th century the Dutch, traditionally able seafarers and keen mapmakers, dominated world trade, a position which before to a lesser extent had been occupied by the Portuguese and Spaniards, and which later would be lost to England after a long competition that culminated in several Anglo-Dutch Wars (fought mainly at sea) — though these weren't the cause of Dutch decline.

During the Eighty Years' War the Dutch became the most important trading centre of Northern Europe, instead of Flanders; they hunted whales near Svalbard, traded spices with India and Indonesia (via the Dutch East India Company, the first company to issue shares) and started colonies in Brazil, New Amsterdam (now New York), South Africa and the West Indies. This new nation flourished culturally and economically, creating what historian Simon Schama has called an "embarrassment of riches". Speculation in the tulip trade led to a first stockmarket crash in 1637, but the economic crisis was soon overcome. Due to these developments the 17th century is often called the Golden Age (de gouden eeuw) of the Netherlands. As the Netherlands was a republic, it was largely governed by an aristocracy of city-merchants called the regents (regenten), rather than by a king. Every city and province had its own government and laws, and a large degree of autonomy. After attempts to find a competent sovereign proved unsuccessful, it was decided that sovereignty would be vested in the various provincial Estates (Staten), the governing bodies of the provinces. The Estates-General (Staten-Generaal), with its representatives from all the provinces, would decide on matters important to the Republic as a whole. However, at the head of each province was the stadtholder (Stadhouder) of that province, a position held by a descendant of the House of Orange. Usually the stadtholdership of several provinces was held by a single man.

Following the recognition of the independence of the Netherlands, a decline in the wealth of the Dutch set in. In 1650, the stadtholder William II, Prince of Orange died, leaving the nation without a powerful ruler. Since the conception of the Republic, there had been an ongoing struggle for power between the regents and the House of Orange, whose supporters, Orangists, were mainly to be found among the common people. For now, the dispute was decided in favour of the regents: there would be no new stadtholder (in Holland) for 22 years to come. In the year 1651, England imposed the 1651 Navigation Act, which severely hurt Dutch trade interests. An incident at sea concerning the Act resulted in the First Anglo-Dutch War, which lasted from 1652 to 1654, ending in the Treaty of Westminster (1654), by which the Navigation Act remained in effect.

1672 is known in the Netherlands as the "Disastrous Year" (Rampjaar). England declared war on the Republic, (the Third Anglo-Dutch War), followed by France, Münster and Cologne, which had all signed alliances against the Republic. France, Cologne and Münster invaded the Republic, while an English attempt to land on the Dutch shore could only just be prevented. In the meantime, a new stadtholder, William III, was appointed. With the aid of friendly German nations, the Dutch succeeded in fighting back Cologne and Münster, after which the peace was signed with both of them, and England as well, in 1674 (Second Treaty of Westminster (1674)). In 1678, peace was made with France, although the Spanish and German allies felt betrayed by the treaty signed in Nijmegen.

In the course of the Glorious Revolution, William III, landed in England at the request of notable English citizens, and dethroned James II of England.

The Dutch economy stagnated from the end of the 17th century until the end of the 18th century. The Netherlands slowly lost its position as trading centre of Northern Europe. Amsterdam was a central financial market and bookmarket in Europe but lost this position to London.

In foreign affairs, the Netherlands tried to contain France, but it changed its foreign policy in the 18th century. The Netherlands was still regarded as a major state, when actual power was over. In the 18th century, the Netherlands tried to maintain its independence and kept a policy of neutrality. French invasions in 1672, 1701 and 1748 led to an overthrow of government. The prince of Orange became the most important ruler in 1672 and 1748. The Netherlands was a true republic from 1650–1672 and 1702–1748.

Then again, I'm not really sure what timeline this game uses. (I hope that was an interesting read)
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:21 am

I asked this same question on the Developer Forums, aparently you can't play dutch, but they will be ingame nontheless, as a neutral NPC trading country.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Grendor on Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:18 am

All the games i have played in the carribean, has shown van der Dutschland as a small power, and had they been more succesfull, then i doubt the major languages in that area would be spanish, english and as i remember it even french. Heck some even hold on to a little danish.

I dont have any hard evidence or even knowledge, other than the history is written by the winners, and i see little dutch history in the carrabean... so....
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:46 pm

yeah, your're right, at the time of writing I only thought about timelines, and didn't know the game was set only in the Carrabean.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Sentenza on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:36 pm

they started their user-content system yet. maybe a good chance to get
some selfmade-thingies into this game ...

anyone fancy to "play" and fumble a bit grafically with our TSS-Logo to make it part of a flag or a sail ?

Sentenza . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rate TSS at WAR!

Vanguard (Halgar): Cynamoon, Mho, Shabby, Rhoselyn, Yaya, Nhew, Clou,
Sentenza

Postby Nathreee on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:58 am

The Dutch weren't very big in the Carribbean. They were big in the rest of the world. Africa, India, Indonesia. There is a certain moment in history where Japan refused to trade with the english but still allowed the Dutch in their ports.

But let's not forget that New York was New Amsterdam before the Dutch decided to sell it to the English in exchange for Suriname. They weren't a big player (because they were so busy on the other continents) but they definately left a mark.

I'm looking out for this game. I used to love Sid Meyer's Pirates!. I wonder if I have to upgrade my pc inorder to play it though.
If you're curious about my life: http://nathreee.livejournal.com
Nathreee
TSS Member

Postby Grendor on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:25 pm

Considering that the possibility of transparency on the sail graphics (parts of the pic where the underlaying sail can be shown), i think it will be prudent to first and foremost discuss a choice of color, as the prime logo of the site looks well with the color of the site graphics but would in my oppinion look bad on a white sail.

There is of course 3 choices of showing the pic on the sail, and if the pic is planned well, they could be combined i think.

But all in all, do we want a "full-sail" pic, a label one or the third "stretched", and what color choices?
Grendor
TSS Member

Postby Proto on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:18 pm

The Dutch certainly had a massive influence in the Carribean and the wider Americas back in the days when I used to play Colonization! :lol:

I painted the world Orange back then with fleets and fleets of Merchantmen and Frigates laying waste to the English and bringing prosperity to everywhere else :)

I'll see if i have some time to get some demos up re: sails and we can open a discussion.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Gaera on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:32 pm

A game kinda similar to this is out, it's just not MMO material, but it's a nice game for solo play:

http://www.akella.com/en/games/ageofpirates/

Let's see, you can play pirate, dutch, spanish, english and france.
The main quest is kinda dodgy, I haven't figured out how to trigger it, but if i'm right you just have to run in to the right NPC's that can help you with the MQ.

You can buy or capture alot of shiptypes, you can change sail types, hull type, cannons, and you can paint your ship to some degree.

You can go off your ship into 3rd person mode and kill with pistols and swords, this is also required if you hijack a ship. There's a deckfight first and then you need to kill the captain boss before you can take control of the ship.

You can trade various items as well, and work for a country and advance in military rank.

Later on when you advance in your command skills you can command entire fleets of ships.

further there's storms, pirates that chase you, sea battles that you can enter and pick a side, also when you set sail you have to recruit crewman, replace them when they die and keep enough food in your cargo hold to feed your crew.

Managing fleets can get to be a pain but it's pretty powerfull.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Next

Return to Pirates of the Burning Sea