Public Tabula Rasa info(Tabula Rasa Beta Signup + Info)

Some call it "The Alternative" to all the fantasy-stuff ...

Public Tabula Rasa info(Tabula Rasa Beta Signup + Info)

Postby Starman on Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 am

Interesting public bits of info about Tabula Rasa:

Official site
www.playtr.com

Articles
Richard Garriott: The Escapist Interview, by Dana Massey

some background:
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/tabularas ... 3B1&page=1

Previevs

Other

_____________ Recycling this thread as a new info thread for everyone interested in TR. Old content follows: _______________
Bit late... but here goes: Tabula Rasa Beta Signup

What is Tabula Rasa?

I know it's early to ask, but: What do you think folks? Could this be The Next Big One?
Last edited by Starman on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starman/Dodgy Wanabe plus more alts @ Hydian Way
Back in WoW Sep '09 - Starelf & Co. - Roses of Dawn.
Vanguard: Sophi Silverstar (Ranger/Exemplar/Master Shipwright), Retired again Sep 10th '09.
SWG pre-NGE: Starman Wanabe, master defender / Starev the wookiee.
Starman

Postby Orakio on Sat May 26, 2007 9:16 am

I haven't really looked into this game, despite being a big fan of the ultima series (never played online).

Not sure what to think of it :?
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby aenedor on Sat May 26, 2007 9:44 am

Credit to NCSoft for assembling quite a good selection of MMO's.

No idea if this will be a success though :)
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Proto on Sat May 26, 2007 10:43 am

Can you decipher the Benefactor Stone?

http://eu.playtr.com/eu/logos_contest

P.S> Aen, this game has Rangers! :wink:
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Gamespot info

Postby Starman on Sat May 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Gamespot article
Highlights:
  • Tabula Rasa has had a long development period, but it's finally set to launch later this year.
  • As with the Ultima series, the idea is that your character is you, a human, transported into another place. To that end, you will only play a human at launch.
  • We will be starting with two very distinct planets to which humanity has been dislocated. Each planet has a unique environment as well as a unique storyline. Foreas is a lush, wooded world... Arieki is a volcanic planet where the very air can be hostile.
  • We wanted to combine the character progression of a role-playing game with the pace of an action game, without making it based on reflexes.
  • What makes Tabula Rasa truly unique, though, is that at any point, you can create a clone of your character so you can explore all the variations of our class tree without starting over each time.
Vanguard: Sophi Silverstar (Ranger/Exemplar/Master Shipwright), Retired again Sep 10th '09.
Starman

Cinema!

Postby Starman on Sat May 26, 2007 2:40 pm

GameTrailers.com films

Yaaarrrr! This one got me psyched!

Suggestion: Apply to beta guys, at least. We'll see if that baby will fly or not :P

OMG! Watching this about mid-film, Garriot says the Npcs have a battle plan, often including overrunning human bases, instead of just sitting in a dungeon waiting for players to come and get them! Sounds good, or what!? "The world will come to you".
Starman

Postby Proto on Sat May 26, 2007 7:18 pm

I signed up for Beta. Everything is worth a try.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Starman on Mon May 28, 2007 12:42 am

Rashy wrote:looks like it will be a stupidly demanding game on processors....

Hey then we get an excuse to upgrade, true? And you play Vg already... so it's hardly a 386 you donning :P
Starman

Postby Requiemourn on Mon May 28, 2007 1:51 pm

Weird, I'm already an applicant for the beta. Either having an account on NCSoft is enough or beta-testing one of their previous games is.

I was downloading the trailers to this game and all of them had cool music, so that's at least one reason to try it out.
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby Wighar on Mon May 28, 2007 4:33 pm

One Question: Crafting?
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Beta preview

Postby Starman on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:22 pm

PC Gamer preview
  • Same text in June Swedish PC Gamer magazine.
  • Still not a word if there is crafting.

computerandvideogames.com wrote:Tabula Rasa
Format: PC
Developer: NCsoft
Publisher: NCsoft
Genre: Adventure
12-Apr-2007: An MMO that starts with a clean slate
Drugs are good. Probably. Or maybe they're not. Richard Garriott just can't help making you think about this stuff.

His fame was founded on the moral dilemmas of the Ultimas, the games that established the very framework of what we consider the modern PC RPG. You can draw a line from his early work, via Baldur's Gate, to today's greats such as Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights 2. But Garriott no longer makes singleplayer RPGs.

For getting on for seven years, Garriott and his team at NCsoft Austin have been working on bringing the single-player dilemmas of the modern RPG to the massively multiplayer world. Hence the drugs.

Aliens have invaded. They're called the Bane, and they have horrific abilities. One: they have the technology to warp matter and energy, and make really big guns with it. Two: they can resurrect the dead, and send them back onto the battlefield, carrying really big guns. Three: they're evil. Fighting that threat are the heroic players of the Allied Free Sentient Forces (you), and an assortment of stim-snorting AI friendlies.

Tabula Rasa is built on two ideas. The first is to provide a context and reason for your fighting. Garriott, when questioned, appears to take almost personal offence to the 'grind' MMOs suffer from.

"When you play a single-player game, you're the hero, the central character in a story. When you play an MMO game, the average player, it turns out, is pretty darned average." The battlefields of Tabula Rasa address this directly. Rather than offering fields of monsters randomly stalking the plains, waiting for you to bash them over the head, each sector is under constant threat of invasion. To reach quest-givers and vendors, and to accrue experience, players have to drive the Bane back.
But whenever they gain ground in one sector, the Bane will strike back in another. The battle is never-ending.

The second idea? To do away with what Garriott calls the "whack-a-mole" combat of the modern MMO. Rather than two characters walking up to each other and taking turns to hit, players in Tabula Rasa are forced to take into account position, cover, and accuracy. Its plays as a third-person shooter, similar to the Xbox 360's Gears of War. Weapons must be aimed and fired, grenades lobbed, and magical abilities super-charged. Firefights are a fizzing science- fiction firework display.

Using cover is key. Underneath the light-show, the same MMO dice-rolls and saving throws take place, but they also take into consideration the lay of the land. Pop out and shoot from behind a balustrade and you'll receive stat increases. Charge straight in, and you'll receive scorchmarks.

It's back at base, as players recuperate from their combat, that Garriott's singleplayer heritage shines through. In one quest-line, players are asked to root out thieves in camp who've been stealing from the medical tent. Sure enough, before long, the dealers offer up their stolen loot for a price. It opens up a significant moral choice. The med officers need the drugs to soothe the sick.

But the soldiers are working 28-hour shifts, and the stolen stim-packs are their only way to keep on fighting. Shopping the dealer might appear to be the correct choice, but this is like 'Nam, baby. His clients, and your squadmates, are going to accuse you of being out of touch with the realities of this war all the way through the rest of the game.

That's not an accusation you can level at Garriott. Tabula Rasa might have been a long time coming, but it's attempting to address major flaws in MMO gaming. We'll have more, soon, when we've had more time to play with the private beta.

Tim Edwards
Starman

Postby Mythinite on Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm starting to like that guy... Boo @ grinding!
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Postby Sentenza on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:45 am

Sentenza . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Rate TSS at WAR!

Vanguard (Halgar): Cynamoon, Mho, Shabby, Rhoselyn, Yaya, Nhew, Clou,
Sentenza

Epic battle trailer

Postby Starman on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Epic battle trailer

Coolest trailer so far... I am starting to wonder. Not really being a fantasy fan, I have been longing for a 'new SWG'. Although this looks more action based, it might be IT...
Starman

Postby Mythinite on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:42 pm

I must say I'm disappointed after seeing the gameplay videos. The graphics themselves range from quite alright to pretty poor but we should all know by now that graphics don't make a game so screw that.
What really disappoints me is the thick stench of "typical MMO" you can sense throughout the videos: NPCs with icons hovering above their heads, the endless slaughter of mobs, and a combat system completely void of anything but the most basic of tactics. I honestly can't say I've seen anything to make TB more than yet another MMO, and then some small quirks to make it just different enough to feel new.
I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe I just want something that no MMO will ever have...
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Next

Return to Tabula Rasa