LOTR online discussion

Postby Orakio on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 am

LOTR online got a whopping 9/10 on eurogamer.net!

Read it

Almost makes me want to order it :wink:
As one of the nay-sayers when it was in development I must admit I was very wrong.[/url]
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby Proto on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:23 am

A good review indeed. On the same day though TBC end-game got 10/10 so i take that 9 with a pinch of salt!

Gaera speaks highly of it though and I'd love to hear what other TSSers make of it before i splashed out.

Especially as the WAR beta is due in "Spring or Summer".
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Gaera on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:07 pm

The game seems to be getting more and more popular,

Turbine had to set up some new servers to ditribute the load of newcomers,

The following ones were added:

Eldar[EN]
Evernight[EN]

Also some other foreign ones were added.

Here's a list of the major issues Lotro has atm: (probably not mentioned in the reviews hehe)

- Does not work well with Vista
- NPC items pricing is not balanced or even rediculous, (a carrot costing more then an axe)
- Lack of solo quests when you hit lvl 30+ (plenty of fellowship/epic quests though)
- Certain items in the retail boxes were changed on the last minute without informing the community.
Rake Tegler / SWG / Presumed dead.
Faelwen / MEO / Dead, sorry.
Fenix Rebirth / EVE / Alive
Sudene / AoC / Died pretty horribly.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Requiemourn on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm sorry, I just can't stop ranting about this game. I have refrained from speaking my opinions about a lot of titles that were brought up on our forums because I either (and this is very important) haven't tried them or I was afraid of hurting someone's feelings or being wrong, but this one I just can't let go. I can't grasp how the game can get such positive reviews.

eurogamer wrote:Our test system is an Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro card, which sits somewhere in the mid-range of PC systems produced in the last year or so, and LOTRO runs comfortably at settings a few notches down from the top.

Are they serious? Really? I'd be happy to have a system like that two years from now. Still, I was able to run LOTRO maxed out without any stuttering from its side. Have we even played the same game? Maybe they were running under Vista.

eurogamer wrote:LOTRO boasts almost uniformly excellent artwork, and it is this - the imaginative creatures, the glorious environments,

If I only saw the screenshots of the game and wouldn't have played it, I might have even believed that (they still don't bring me down on my knees though). It somehow looks much better on stills but very artificial and incoherent when seen in motion. But this...:

eurogamer wrote:the superbly detailed equipment on your characters

...Has made me really wonder. The game rivals WoW in terms of lack of detail on character models, beats it in terms of uglyness of character avatars and equipment and completely destroys it and grinds it into dust when it comes to lack of uniqueness.

eurogamer wrote:The real triumph of this game is that it takes many ideas which people will be familiar with from WoW and improves upon them significantly.

I'd say it's the opposite. Especially concerning UI. Oh yes, it's also so cool to walk into a tavern only to see a loading screen. Wasn't WoW the game that, like, made the interiors a consistent part of the world? I guess loading screens are a new way to improve stuff.
Maybe that was the reason I felt claustrophobic inside taverns - and I'm a fan of taverns, my Dwarf Gurnis spent a lot of time in them in WoW. Here, I just wanted to get out.

eurogamer wrote:but Turbine aren't afraid to drag you into an instance to do some really good storytelling, when the game demands it. Others may have a different perspective, but in our view, that's a Good Thing.

I don't know how about You, but sentences like the last one make me cringe. It almost shouts out "we're biased!"

eurogamer wrote:a glowing golden ring, in this case

May I add that even the ring is ugly? It has an unnatural, dull texture. More yellow than gold.

eurogamer wrote:However, the introduction of the game's virtues and titles system simultaneously lightens the burden of grind, and introduces much-needed variety to the character classes.

Oh, so now knowing that you get a reward for killing 500 spiders or using the skill 1000 times makes the grind less of a chore? Wait, wasn't that tried before? *cough*WoW faction farm*cough* Well, it actually does make it feel more purposeful and it's a sound idea in itself. But for some reason grinding in LOTRO bored me faster than in any other game. Maybe that's because I already knew the game couldn't keep me with it for long because it just felt too much like WoW, but worse. Besides, I think that those achievements have made the designers feel like they could get away with stuffing grind right down your throat. I might be wrong on that one though, as I haven't progressed that far to be sure.

eurogamer wrote:What that means in effect is that if you're a PvP player, this isn't the game for you - at least, not yet.

PvE alone just doesn't cut it for me. Competing with environment is boring.

eurogamer wrote:If you're deeply ensconced in an active WoW guild and enjoying the game, then LOTRO's improvements probably aren't significant enough to drag you away

In an article this enthusiastic that sentence almost sounds... negative. Doesn't it?

I can't spend my time on a PvE game that seems like a huge grind from the get go and doesn't seem to have anything to get me interested - like original, well fleshed out classes - nope, you just get 4 melee classes (the Burglar had a rather interesting twist in form of Conjunctions but a class designed solely for team play? You can imagine it wasn't very popular), a ranger (I think) and a rather unspectacular mage... and probably something more but it was so insignificant that I can't remember.

I feel a bit relieved that from what I read on a Polish forum dedicated to games in general, a great deal of my countrymen feel the same as I do. Most, the ones that haven't tried the game, are enthusiastic. Those that tried the beta - not so. Maybe that's the reason for the positive reviews. While normal people can admit that they're wrong with relatively small, if any, consequences, for some reason gaming sites and magazines avoid the words "we were wrong" like fire after writing a positive preview and getting excited about the game for a year before release. Therefore any game that is popular before release will get positive reviews. It's a fact.

Anyhoo, I don't want You to take my word for it. Poles in general have this awful tendency for pessimism - I blame it on our history. Also remember that I believe I was the first TSS member to quit WoW permanently - and only after 2,5 months of playing. I'm just disgruntled seeing what the developers try to pull off just to get money out of our wallets. They just don't try hard enough to be creative, and LOTRO is IMO the best example for this. Maybe my expectations are too high.

At any rate, I just felt like ranting - don't read too much into it.
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby Requiemourn on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:41 pm

Haha. But Woody says in the accompanying entry that open beta had low-res textures. I was expecting something like this, but I still don't think high-res would make a huge difference.

This does look nice though - not like anything I experienced. However, I believe a different time of the day, a couple of character models and a perspective closer to earth would ruin it too. I simply don't trust LOTRO screenshots.
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby Mythinite on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Can't say I'm impressed by what people are saying... A game that can't pull players away from WoW and, as far as I know, offers nothing to raise the bar gameplay-wise above WoW either. Vanguard does, IMO. But then again I'm very skeptical about all those MMOs that evolve around a grind for XP, levels and/or gear...

UO had buildings you could enter without loadscreens. You could even stand on the roofs and shoot down at monsters. True it was just 2D graphics but it worked and in so many ways it was a better game than what passes for an MMO today. Shame on the industry, SHAME!

This space reserved for making rants and rude comments about leeching off the recent-years Tolkien hype started by the movies.
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Postby Ironaxe on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 am

here are 2 Screenies of my Dwarf there... without comments....

Clicky1
Clicky2
Last edited by Ironaxe on Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no sig.
Ironaxe
TSS Member

Postby Proto on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 am

Ironaxe wrote:By the way..... how can i shrink the Pics... to fit them in?

Just import em into your favourite image editing software and resize to about half their current size, should fit much better then.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Gaera on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Requiemourn wrote:Haha. But Woody says in the accompanying entry that open beta had low-res textures. I was expecting something like this, but I still don't think high-res would make a huge difference.

This does look nice though - not like anything I experienced. However, I believe a different time of the day, a couple of character models and a perspective closer to earth would ruin it too. I simply don't trust LOTRO screenshots.

They did use low res texures in beta, only the full retail client contains the high res texures, in fact the installation menu asks you to install these.

I'll make some screens and post these later on, to show the detail in this game.

I don't really agree with your opinions thought, but oh well everybody has it's own.
When I play this game I do see it in a way more positive way then you discribe.

You also only rant this game based on a review without having played the retail version yourself, I only share your comments about the pvp part of LOTR, but the other comments sound rediculous to me. I don't recognize any of it ingame myself.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Orakio on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:55 pm

remember guys. Compare everything to Dark and Light, then you'll see the positive things in every game!
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby Requiemourn on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Ironaxe wrote:here are 2 Screenies of my Dwarf there... without comments....

Ok, high-res does make a difference.
Instead of resizing I would suggest simply posting links to the screenshots. That way You will avoid reducing the quality of them while keeping the thread clean.

Gaera wrote:They did use low res texures in beta, only the full retail client contains the high res texures, in fact the installation menu asks you to install these.

I'll make some screens and post these later on, to show the detail in this game.

I'll be happy to see them :). Especially of some high-level equipment and areas, as I haven't had the chance to see that in beta.

Gaera wrote:I don't really agree with your opinions thought, but oh well everybody has it's own.
When I play this game I do see it in a way more positive way then you discribe.

You also only rant this game based on a review without having played the retail version yourself, I only share your comments about the pvp part of LOTR, but the other comments sound rediculous to me. I don't recognize any of it ingame myself.
I'm sure You couldn't have missed the loading screens :P.
I rated it basing on my beta experiences. I'm not trying to say that the game is absolute crap, but that it just didn't grab me by the heart. I probably could very well play it right now if I wouldn't have tried WoW earlier.
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby Gaera on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 pm

The loading screens aren't that long at all, but I'm not sure if that's my pc or not. I didn't really hear complaints about it on the forums.

I can imagine the retail version could be faster as the server is way faster as the one used in beta.

To enter a house for me just takes about 3-4 seconds to load.

As for sreens, The server is down atm for maintenance, i'll make the screens asap.

I also have one 7-day trial key, if anyone would want it. You do have to fetch a client somewhere though...

Edit:
client download locations: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172356
Last edited by Gaera on Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby Mythinite on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:07 am

What does the game offer? What about the gameplay? So far I haven't heard anything that sets it apart from the rest, besides the backwards zone loading. It's LOTR but is that good or bad? I think it's a horrible idea for an MMO but the beancounters probably disagree.
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Postby Gaera on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:58 pm

I made screens, more to be added later:

Swamp Lake:

Goblin Camp:

Weathertop: