Mass Effect 2 - OMGZOR!!

Mass Effect 2 - OMGZOR!!

Postby Proto on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 pm

Mass Effect 2 - Is it just me or does 60 hours of talking heads with sporadic 2 minute click fests sound like a piece of piss to anyone else? Is this what TOR will be like?

This kind of game needs to go away and die.

Bioware's first FAIL.

Discuss.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Re: Mass Effect 2 - OMGZOR!!

Postby Linke_Wipeout on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 am

Are you insane ?!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
i 'R Linke
Det är faan inte några rosa moln där ute...räksallad i dojjorna och insvept i en stulen jäger banderoll
Linke_Wipeout
TSS Member

Postby Proto on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 am

Sorry, it's just not doing anything for me mate.

I really enjoyed ME, but this is just... not progressing anything. Better graphics and no loading lifts (woot?) perhaps but I really dont want to watch another 60 hour long movie (with nothing but two or three heads taking turns to stare blankly at one another) where I occasionally click a few buttons just to pretend I'm actually doing anything useful as we go along.

It's just... OLD.

As I said on my fb page, after half an hour of the game, I still didn't give a shit about the characters, all i wanted to know was when I could shoot the sycophantic twat sidekick and get my leg over the woman. I uninstalled approximately 5 minutes later.

So, yeah, maybe I am insane, or maybe this is just... shit. Where's the innovation?
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby Linke_Wipeout on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 am

For me it's the other way around, i really enjoy the cinematic feeling they had on both ME and ME2.
Ofc for the first couple of hours i did compare it very much with ME, and the things i liked there.
I really like how they made it a second part of the story and not just a sequel. Thou i must say that it doesn't have the epic feeling (yet) ME gave me.

Finished it off now and with some distant to it, here is my thoughts on it.

It's a better game than the first one, the combat is by far better then in ME althou you use cover alot, if you wanna go rambo the higher difficulty might not be the right choice.
You also use ammo, and will from time to time run out and have to switch to another weapon, not such a major downside as i first felt as there is plenty around but one have to keep a mind on it and make the shots count.
The missions/quests you take on are all well done, however if you do a quest involving the main plot you're kinda set to do it all the way thru, so you're not wandering around as you might like during those.
Some of those mission can seem a bit short sometimes, but they all make the story move on.
The Mako is all gone (probably added as DLC later on)

Exp and inventory is pretty much gone, you level up by doing the story missions and inventory is replaced by researching technology and prototypes, with resources you gather by scanning planets and bombing them with probes.
This is a bit time consuming and quite boring as you dont really know how much you will need (i scanned about 1/3 of the planets and it was more than enough).
There is some choice of setup for the main charachter, a couple of armour parts for each slot (head/chest/arm/legs) and a couple of choices of each weapon type.

You now also move the ship around in space yourself (needing fuel) and jumping around the main star systems with the Mass Relays.

A neat addition on the armour is that you set pattern and colours yourself, only the form changes with the different parts.
However your teammates are as the were from the start, with one extra apperence choice.

And the story around each team member is well done, and possibly longer than in ME. And you dont need to run checking with them all the time if they got anything they wanna tell you, there is a shipmember that keeps check on if anyone has something they wanna tell you, or if you have new mails.
And being able to load up the saves from ME is a cool addition.
And i think there is also a few major choices that will make an impact on ME3.

To sum it up, it's really good game and great to be back in the Mass Effect universe. Almost everything is better than in ME, teammates stories, combat, powers but i do miss the inventory and the hope for that phat loot, or find that new great gun in a shop.
Still it leaves me with the feeling that i still enjoyed ME more, possibly due to that i felt more for my team in ME (hated leaving one behind on Virmire), the team is much larger this time thou so that might be another reason.
Also as you're kinda bound to finish a mission once you started it before being able to wander around makes it feel smaller (howver ME had that to as in Noveria, Feros) or perhaps it's the mission summary screen that comes after it's done that chops up the immersion.

Ended the game it about 48-49 hours, but i did take my time and think i was quite thoroughly.
So finishing it of in 30 hours doesnt seem like and impossibility.
i 'R Linke
Det är faan inte några rosa moln där ute...räksallad i dojjorna och insvept i en stulen jäger banderoll
Linke_Wipeout
TSS Member

Postby Orakio on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Downloading.... As long as the story is entertaining I'll have a good time I suppose :)
I loved the first one.
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby Linke_Wipeout on Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Also, watched the Launch trailer and Cinematic trailer after i finished it ,, and that could have added some xtra feeling for the game if seen before playing it i think.
Thou possibly some very minor spoilers in them.
i 'R Linke
Linke_Wipeout
TSS Member

Postby Mythinite on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 pm

It's here! The review you've all been waiting for!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-Effect-2
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Postby aenedor on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Mythinite wrote:It's here! The review you've all been waiting for!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-Effect-2

hmm blocked by my companies firewall, is it copy and pasteable?
aenedor
Admin Crew

Postby Mythinite on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 am

It's a video so not easy to copy/paste, sorry. :)
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Return to RPG / Adventure