OBLIVION!!!

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:20 pm

velkairiwyth

Postby Proto on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:53 pm

High Praise!

I just need a new rig to play it now :lol: :lol:

Hold on, perhaps i should just go buy a 360...

Ahh.

Money.

Bastid.

:wink:
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:11 pm

i would recommend the 360... I run a decent spec and its performance is dissapointing. Acceptable, but dissapointing.

7800GTX 256
3700 Athlon 64 (1mb Cache)
1gb Ram
Raptor HDD for OS
2 HDDs in Striped raid array
velkairiwyth

Postby velkairiwyth on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:30 pm

For any oblivion players out there playing on the PC - MODS are the way to go!!!

A lot of the problems both graphically, and gameplay wise are fixed in a number of mods located

Here

and

here[/url]
velkairiwyth

Postby Silvra on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:44 pm

Going to uninstall it, clean up the harddisk, and install it again... :roll:

And then I'll try those things Velk.

Thanks for the tip!
You are a god among insects. Never let anyone tell you different.
Silvra

Postby velkairiwyth on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:27 am

Took me half of my free time last night to track em down and download them... Not had the chance to get them working and try them out - but looking at the screenies and the claim that they all have zero impact (or improvement impact) on the performance... Im crossing my fingers that my 7800gtx will be able to hack it since it will perform better - supposedly.

Hell, maybe ill just overclock... (a $600 Gfx card when I got it... lol) - no wonder ive not tried OCing yet.
velkairiwyth

Postby Linke_Wipeout on Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:39 am

here a good faq for those up for some seriuos fiddling with the specs , to get it run smoother

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/oblivion_a.txt

also found a good one for differnt mods (less searching around the forum)

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=324335
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
i 'R Linke
Det är faan inte några rosa moln där ute...räksallad i dojjorna och insvept i en stulen jäger banderoll
Linke_Wipeout
TSS Member

Postby Gaera on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Why oh why did they make us pay for official plugins? I'm disappointed in Bethesda... following EA's footsteps.
Guess i'll look for them on torrent sites though, I think I did enough for paying for the game.
Rake Tegler / SWG / Presumed dead.
Faelwen / MEO / Dead, sorry.
Fenix Rebirth / EVE / Alive
Sudene / AoC / Died pretty horribly.
Sudene / WAR / Missing
Gaera
TSS Member

Postby velkairiwyth on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:11 am

Hehe - ditto, although I recon that the player mods are more than enough for me. I never ride a horse anyway (Theres NEVER one around!!!) - horse call mod could be useful there :p
velkairiwyth

Postby Requiemourn on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:03 pm

Here's a part of a post I made on Warhammer Alliance forums about Oblivion:

I tried TES1: Arena and still consider TES2: Daggerfall to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Morrowind has been a step backwards considering the defining attributes of the previous TES titles and now Oblivion didn't made that huge of a leap forward since TES3.
The fact that they didn't even touched the underlying, very flawed mechanics is a big turn-down. I want to enjoy a game and level-up not even thinking about it, not worry about some stupid attribute modifiers and switch from my major skill Blades to minor Blunt or Hand-to-Hand (yay for staying in character!) just so I don't level-up too fast without getting +5 modifiers for three attributes; not auto-run against a wall constantly summoning skeletons to get a +5 modifier to Speed from Athletics and +5 to Intelligence from Conjuration (reading a book at the same time); not worry about when to complete a quest to get the best possible reward (quest item scaling is the lamest thing I have ever seen in an RPG). Yes, everything is VERY natural and life-like! In fact, isn't that what the entire skill-system was all about in the first place? The simplest thing they could do would be to scrap levels altogether and make attributes gradually increase as you increase associated skills. But that would be too hard now, wouldn't it?...
And the strangest thing is, after achieving to create the greatest character ever, with all attributes maxed out as soon as possible, the game looses its appeal to me which means that it wasn't so immersive in the first place (quests still can't compare to those from Baldur's Gate II or Fallout 2 and you still don't seem to influence the world around you a lot (uh, nice job of making three people in the entire world acknowledge that you're the new arch-mage, wooo!), which is one of the main things RPGs are about).

Overall I think Bethesda wasted a lot of potential on Oblivion. To create such wonderful graphics and a potentially extremely immersive world and then put at its core almost everything that made Morrowind wanting you to act like a masochistic powergamer and boring you to tears was infinitely stupid.
You know what's the best determinant of how unthoughtful the entire system is? You can probably own the entire game by getting all skills that you will never use for major - which would let you stay at level 1 but have all the skills that you do use at 100. But I guess that being single-player only game is enough of an excuse for that...
Oh, and Daggerfall's mid's were a lot better (still have them on my drive) than the nearly non-existant Oblivion music...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely dishing Oblivion. I just think it could've been a lot better with little effort put to it.
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby velkairiwyth on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:17 am

I enjoyed oblivion, not played it since the week of release, been Wowing it up too much and been busy. I do agree that the game isnt all that addictive or immersive, even the so called super graphics are just average for a game in this day and age. (In fact I think I prefer Farcrys...)

Also dissapointed with the fact my PC struggles to run it smoothly and its the fastest of anyone I know (bar maybe some of you if youve recently upgraded.)

anyhow, I have a craving to play Baldurs Gate... now there was an addictive game!! And I cant wait for NWN2... Its got the eye canfy but isnt based on it, which is great :D
velkairiwyth

Postby suzziq on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:28 am

velkairiwyth wrote:I enjoyed oblivion, not played it since the week of release, been Wowing it up too much and been busy. I do agree that the game isnt all that addictive or immersive, even the so called super graphics are just average for a game in this day and age. (In fact I think I prefer Farcrys...)

Also dissapointed with the fact my PC struggles to run it smoothly and its the fastest of anyone I know (bar maybe some of you if youve recently upgraded.)

anyhow, I have a craving to play Baldurs Gate... now there was an addictive game!! And I cant wait for NWN2... Its got the eye canfy but isnt based on it, which is great :D

"I feel so cold" Imoen
I am ready to meet my maker, whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter.
suzziq

Location: Suzyworld - where the men are men and dont pinch the lipstick

Postby Requiemourn on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 pm

Yeah, I've been able to test Oblivion on a AMD3500+, 2GB RAM (too bad Oblivion uses only 512 MBs - even after tweaking... Yay for lazy programmers, rushing out the game and XBOX360! Am I too sarcastic lately?...) and GF7800GT GLH (love that abbreviation - means Goes Like Hell :)) - no matter how much I tweaked the .ini I still couldn't make it run smoothly. On all maxed out settings and 1280x1024 but without AA I was getting 9 FPSes in some areas (decreasing most settings didn't made a difference but I noticed that the biggest impact on performance was made by Object LOD). At the same time I could play CoD2 also in the same resolution but with AAx4 and I didn't experienced any stuttering at all.

Anyhoo, as far as classical RPGs go, I think I've got a remedy for You, Velk :). Check out the topic about The Witcher I'll make in just a sec...
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby Wighar on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:26 am

hmm the game works fine for me without lag or anything, some say they got power outages with the game, im using a standard 300W PSU and it hasn't failed on me yet.

CPU: AMD Sempron 3400+ (2.01Ghz)
RAM: 2GB DDR RAM
GPU: RADEON X800 vGuru 256MB

when checking my RAM it says im using around 55-70% RAM total while playing Oblivion. which suprises me as WoW uses 70-85% RAM when i play.
when my computer is Idle it uses 27-33% RAM, but thats pretty standard as its Windows XP that sucks on the RAM.
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Postby Orakio on Tue May 09, 2006 11:43 am

Wahey, I just bought this game with some coupons I had left (from b-days and such)

I am now optimizing my pc performance, and will be doing so during tomorrow as well using every tweak possible, before I install it.
I'm well above min specs to play this game so I will play it dammit, no matter what
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

PreviousNext