OBLIVION!!!

Postby suzziq on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:28 am

velkairiwyth wrote:I enjoyed oblivion, not played it since the week of release, been Wowing it up too much and been busy. I do agree that the game isnt all that addictive or immersive, even the so called super graphics are just average for a game in this day and age. (In fact I think I prefer Farcrys...)

Also dissapointed with the fact my PC struggles to run it smoothly and its the fastest of anyone I know (bar maybe some of you if youve recently upgraded.)

anyhow, I have a craving to play Baldurs Gate... now there was an addictive game!! And I cant wait for NWN2... Its got the eye canfy but isnt based on it, which is great :D

"I feel so cold" Imoen
I am ready to meet my maker, whether my maker is prepared to meet me is another matter.
suzziq

Location: Suzyworld - where the men are men and dont pinch the lipstick

Postby Requiemourn on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 pm

Yeah, I've been able to test Oblivion on a AMD3500+, 2GB RAM (too bad Oblivion uses only 512 MBs - even after tweaking... Yay for lazy programmers, rushing out the game and XBOX360! Am I too sarcastic lately?...) and GF7800GT GLH (love that abbreviation - means Goes Like Hell :)) - no matter how much I tweaked the .ini I still couldn't make it run smoothly. On all maxed out settings and 1280x1024 but without AA I was getting 9 FPSes in some areas (decreasing most settings didn't made a difference but I noticed that the biggest impact on performance was made by Object LOD). At the same time I could play CoD2 also in the same resolution but with AAx4 and I didn't experienced any stuttering at all.

Anyhoo, as far as classical RPGs go, I think I've got a remedy for You, Velk :). Check out the topic about The Witcher I'll make in just a sec...
Asinus ad lyram.

Requiemourn

Postby Wighar on Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:26 am

hmm the game works fine for me without lag or anything, some say they got power outages with the game, im using a standard 300W PSU and it hasn't failed on me yet.

CPU: AMD Sempron 3400+ (2.01Ghz)
RAM: 2GB DDR RAM
GPU: RADEON X800 vGuru 256MB

when checking my RAM it says im using around 55-70% RAM total while playing Oblivion. which suprises me as WoW uses 70-85% RAM when i play.
when my computer is Idle it uses 27-33% RAM, but thats pretty standard as its Windows XP that sucks on the RAM.
You can visit My Website and My Blog by these links.
Wighar
Admin

Postby Orakio on Tue May 09, 2006 11:43 am

Wahey, I just bought this game with some coupons I had left (from b-days and such)

I am now optimizing my pc performance, and will be doing so during tomorrow as well using every tweak possible, before I install it.
I'm well above min specs to play this game so I will play it dammit, no matter what
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Postby velkairiwyth on Tue May 09, 2006 1:32 pm

FYI - Radeons work better.

Tis quite worrying that my old 7800GTX and Req's 7800Gt had trouble running yet an x800 run it fine...

ooooh...

Just downgraded to an X1600Xt, I wonder if it will actually run it BETTER... lol - good test I think.
velkairiwyth

Postby Orakio on Wed May 10, 2006 9:02 am

Shattered dreams!!!

After optimizing my memory core (freed up to 820 MB's of my gig) and tweaking my video driver I installed the game and fired it up at minimal graphics settings. The video ran smoothly and I was confident I'd be spening the next coupld of hours on this. ...Until the char creation came up and I had less than 1 fps. I'll just keep this on the shelf for another year then.
Orakio:

Orakio
Admin

Postby Wighar on Wed May 10, 2006 9:11 am

Orakio wrote:Shattered dreams!!!

After optimizing my memory core (freed up to 820 MB's of my gig) and tweaking my video driver I installed the game and fired it up at minimal graphics settings. The video ran smoothly and I was confident I'd be spening the next coupld of hours on this. ...Until the char creation came up and I had less than 1 fps. I'll just keep this on the shelf for another year then.

hmm, Describe your computer please, may be that we can help you getting the game to run.

Modelname, model series, potential Output such things :D
Wighar
Admin

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed May 10, 2006 9:24 am

Oblivion has a trillion graphics settings. setting to minimum may not be necessary or make a difference. I suspect HDR is ON (seems to be default)- Turn it off, turn anti-aliasing off turn bloom off, then see where you are...
velkairiwyth

Postby Orakio on Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 am

I have a: - P4 2,8 GHz HT processor with Asus P4P800 motherboard
- 1024 MB's of ram
- Geforce FX5600 128 MB's ram.

The game states my video card is unrecognized though my series are named on the back of the cover, strangely enough.
I have partially used a guide on the net to tweak my PC for oblivion. cleaned everything up, defragmentatitatated my partitions, and updated my video driver with nVidia's latest. Also I set Vsync off, textured to small, anti-aliasing off (obviously) and I chose two different resolution settings. I played 800*600 fullscreen, in which my mouse didn't even respond, and I chose 640*480 windowed, in which I get almost 1 fps.

What haven't I done?
--------------------------

acoording to the guide there are plenty of things to do which I haven't dared.

- Overclocking
- Updating Windows (haven't done that for a long time)
- Editing the .ini files

I fail to see that these things will boost my fps to 10 all of the sudden though
Orakio:

Orakio
Admin

Postby Kor on Wed May 10, 2006 9:46 am

velkairiwyth wrote:FYI - Radeons work better.

QFE
Korvin Firestalker Europe-Farstar, Star Wars Galaxies. Cancelled.
Ilyani active, Korvinus soon active, Korvin and Xoli perhaps reactivated later. Earthen Ring
Kor
TSS Member

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 am

Queef to you too :p

Just reporting from the olbivion and pcperspective forums where I linger during my free minutes. although a 7800GTX is marginally faster in tests than an X1800Xt - it is significantly slower in oblivion. *shrugS*
velkairiwyth

Postby Wighar on Wed May 10, 2006 10:21 am

Mainly i would think its the lack of RAM, and the graphical card.

Depending how your system works with the Graphical card it uses various amounts of the Computers RAM to assist the speed on the computer, this would be the simplest case on a AMD based system since it allows Graphical 3d boosting in the core of the Processing, at least thats what i have heard.

But in this i would suggest that you

Indeed update Windows.
Disable any or all RAM adjusters.
Increase the Virtual Memory settings to 2500 - 4096 to releave active RAM.

Over clocking the graphical card is a potential but dangerous thing if not sure what your doing, but possible, increasing the it 10-15Mhz can show a lot of difference, as well as force adjusting the Graphical memory to 5-10 MB over factory standrad, then testing if it all works, potentialy this may end up with a blue screen where as youll have to revert the overclocking.
Wighar
Admin

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed May 10, 2006 10:54 am

for a Geforce - look for a programme called "coolbitz" right click on the desktop, go to properties and in the control panel for the cgraphics card you will see a new tab called "clock speed" or something. Tell it to test for working overclock settings, it should add a nice little boost to the speed and maintain stability.

If it has a temperature readout, even better. See what it ready out normally, but dont let it run hotter than 80C (these cores survive a remarkable 100-120C - but I would not expect it to last long lol.)
velkairiwyth

Postby Proto on Wed May 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Disgraceful state of affairs with this game. Disgraceful!

Companies will continue to do this until the people start voting with their wallets and STOP BUYING UNCOMPLETED BUGGY PIECES OF SHIT!

*ahem* I feel a little better now, carry on...
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed May 10, 2006 2:07 pm

I have no complaints, altough I will admit it was kinda dissapointing graphically, they changed it to reduce requirements and it STILL run laggy on my Pc...

ah well, might be upgrade time come end of summer anyway *grin*
velkairiwyth

PreviousNext

Return to RPG / Adventure