OBLIVION!!!

Postby velkairiwyth on Thu May 11, 2006 7:57 am

Lol :)

I do try to be sensible sometimes... then I realise - whats the point :p

Oblivion = 7/10 in my book. wow = the same but theres a community. If we didnts have /ss or the lil guild going, I would be playing Oblivion or Baldurs Gate, or just playing with the Dog and Kat :o
velkairiwyth

Postby Orakio on Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:51 am

bumping this old lady, as I've finally started playing it with my new video card. Despite the comments here I am really enjoying it. I must say that I enjoyed Fable as well, and that this game quite resembles it only with more freedom.
Don't get me wrong, the previous commenst about the system being exploitable is very just, but I'm not looking for exploits or brainbreakers here. You don't have to think hard to enjoy a good book either, and that's what I'm looking for in these types of single-player RPG's. Give me a solid story and some eye-candy, topped up by the ability to customize your 'hero' and I'm a happy gamer.

I hardly think you can put the "this is a crap game"-mark on this easily. I can easily think of many games I've enjoyed less than this.

Sorry for the bump :wink:
--------------------------------------
Orakio:
Player Association manager
Professional flock-gatherer

Tuorn Inganar-SWG - waiting for a new SW MMO
Argis La'Shiek-WoW - Murdered
ArgoSeraph-WoW - at peace
Darox - Lost every now and then in Telon

Playing: \o/ Dragonica! \o/ - Fenir beta server - Radon - Overpowered magician

Orakio
Admin

Re:

Postby Proto on Tue May 06, 2008 5:11 pm

Orakio wrote:bumping this old lady, as I've finally started playing it with my new video card....

Sorry for the bump :wink:

Nah, a few months is nothing in comparison to this bump - nearly two years!

Well, I picked up the GotY edition of this for my shiny new PS3 at the weekend and I'm already falling in love with it. I've always been a huge fan of TES and this is really delivering. I know I was actually quite disparaging when this first came out - on account of the terrible state in which it was released and the number of problems that people were having with getting it to run semi decently. No such problem on the console of course, at least not now it has had almost two years of fixes applied. It's smoother than a babies bum! :)

I'm actually surprised that this game is almost 2 years old now, that means that development probably started 5 years ago and look at how amazing it looks. How smoothly the camera flows around you even with a lot going on. It makes me actually quite hopeful for what the upcoming MMOs might manage. One of my biggest gripes with recent MMOs has been the sacrifices in framerate that have had to be made in order to display pretty graphics and i long for a game which can deliver the stunning visuals of Vanguard with the smoothness of motion found in WoW. If Oblivion is anything to go by then surely this kind of dream must be close to being reality? I know single-player games are VERY different to MMOs but... well... hope springs eternal...

As for Oblivion itself, it's rather good. Although having heard a bit about the level system, I did some research and the whole thing about major skills and level variation of mobs stinks to high heaven. I've ended up with Major Skills that my character is pretty much never going to use, just so I can control my levelling. It's a bit of a shame really. When a pure warrior build actually means 5 casting skills, hand to hand and Armorer as your majors, something is wrong there. And with no mods available for download to mess with the settings to fix it, it's just something that I'm going to have to live with. Once in a while I'm forced to stop my gallivanting and adventuring and grind up Armorer till I ding the next level. Or cast Open Very Easy Lock on an Average lock over and over and over. Not so much fun.

Ignoring this titanic problem, the story is quite nifty so far, and there are some lovely touches like using terrain to crush people with landslides.

It's to early into my playtime to give it any kind of meaningful opinion, but I am holding out hope that the system wont prove too much of a problem in the long term.

So, yeah, this will pretty much be the definition of a necro post.
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Re: OBLIVION!!!

Postby velkairiwyth on Wed May 07, 2008 11:39 am

picked up a ps3 on the weekend - i cant get into oblivion on me pc - but I will pick it up for the ps3 with expansion and hopefully get into it :)

that is - once im over my GTA4 phase... which could take a while.
Siggy Wiggy Woo.
velkairiwyth

Postby Proto on Wed May 07, 2008 11:54 am

velkairiwyth wrote:picked up a ps3 on the weekend...

that is - once im over my GTA4 phase... which could take a while.

Tell me about it! I've gone so long without a decent game/platform that I am now "binge gaming" with hours of GTA4 followed by hours of Oblivion one after another. With work and sleep I must be neglecting the missus by now, I'd check but I forget who she is... :wink:

GTA 4 is something else...
Proto
PA Layabout
and General Slacker®

Currently playing as:
RIFT
Duram - Destiny - Blightweald EU Defiant
Myrmidia - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Cerridwen - Tranquility - Blightweald EU Defiant
Qi - Blightweald EU Defiant
Starcraft 2 - Proto#166
------------------------------------------
Whois Proto?
Proto
Admin

Postby velkairiwyth on Thu May 08, 2008 10:09 am

roflmao :)

If you like 3rd person fighter games, and are into your real-world lore (I like norse mythology) you might like Viking. Game wise its not fantastic (most reviews would pit it about 70%) but I have some friends with similar interests who are fanatical about this game.

game binge wise, I know how you feel. My PC has not been upgraded since 2005 - and a number of games on it I have dont run too well (e.g oblivion) - I managed to complete the game, but for some reason, just couldnt get too into it due to the ability to mod it so much... I intend to get it for the ps3 and try again :p

Unfortunately I dont have the game time available - its life :p just cancelled my wow sub - I dont think im going to get much chance to play it considering each time I get a chance I hit that PS button on the controller, grab a drink, sit down and start GTAing.

Never been much of a console gamer - but somehow, gta works just right :p
Siggy Wiggy Woo.
velkairiwyth

Postby Mythinite on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Relevant to your interests!

Zero Punctuation review of Oblivion
--> Insert something phunny here <--
Mythinite
Admin Crew

Previous

Return to RPG / Adventure